1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new gun in 308 today so I'm new to all of this. I wanted to know what you have to do to use m-60 links in 1919a4. I've seen them used before but wanted to know if anything special had to be done to the gun. Or is there a different link that would work better. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,321 Posts
only the C-5 variant will use M-60 links you need IMI links Ohio Ordance Works has them for $70 per 1K or $135 for 2K google the name and call and order you might try Widner`s Shooter Supply also they were selling them real cheap on phone orders specifiy izzy links IMI not 3006 links they will not work with 308

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
I have read that you can break off the little prong and use them, but I've never tried it. EDIT: The links I had are spoken for and gone.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
M60 links will work in a pinch. you have to run them upside down and backwards. Bend the tang in till it contacts the case neck.

1919 links are cheap enough that its not worth the hassle though

·
Registered
34 Posts
M6o Links In 1919a4

I Have Been Thinking About Using The M60 Links In My 1919a4. This Probably Will Minimize The Wear On The Trunion Since The Brass Is The One Riding On The Trunion And Not Part Of The Links. Not To Alter Any Part Of The Rsp Or Extractor Claw But The Tang On The M60 Link. Do You It's Worth It?

·
Registered
864 Posts
--Belts, Links, Linkers and Belt-Loaders

Whether your 1919 is a 30.06, 8mm, or .308, it will run on cloth belts or disintegrating links without modifications to the feed device.

There are two types of links:
A) the US 30.06 Links (which will work w/ 8mm or 30.06)
B) the Israeli Links or "Izzy" links (which work w/ 30.06, 8mm, or .308).

The Israeli 1919 links can be purchased for $70 per 1000 from Ohio Ordinance ( http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/index.htm ), and are available in new/unused condition. The US 30.06 Links are much cheaper at about $20 per thousand. Links are reusable. Links should be washed in hot soapy water after use, if you are firing corrosive ammunition.

Note: M60 links won't work in the 1919.

If you go with links, you'll need a "Linker". A Linker is a device that you put 10-20 links and 10-20 rounds into a tray, and pull a lever to push the rounds into the links. These go for about $100-265. The $265 units are made from real US GI Issue .50 cal linkers that have been modified to work with .308/8mm/30.06. These will last a lifetime. The other units are aftermarket and quality varies. However, most people report that the $185 aftermarket unit from Ohio Ordinance Works, and an aftermarket unit made by Laminatrap, works really well. Some units you have to change the tray plate in the linker to change calibers (extra cost). Other units will load all three calibers.

If you're using links, it's probably a good idea to purchase a "trunnion protector" to protect the trunnion feed-way from wear/scaring. The trunnion protector keeps the links from directly rubbing on the feed-way. They snap-on in seconds and cost about $14 from Guiette Mfg. http://www.guiettemfg.com/catalog.html

Note: The Guiette Mfg. trunnion protector will reduce clearance in the feedway, which may cause feeding problems on some guns with tight clearances.

Cloth belts run about $15-40 each depending on condition (most are 100 or 250 round). No change of parts is required to go from links to cloth belts. The 1919 was designed originally to use cloth belts. Cloth belts tend to be a little more finicky, as rounds tend to shift around and fall out of the cloth belt. Cloth belts can be hand-loaded, but owners report this as being very tedious, time consuming, and painful to the fingers. You really need a "GI Issue 1918 belt loader" if you want to use cloth belts, and these go for around $900-$1200 and only work with 30.06 & 8mm (after-market conversions to .308 are available). Most seasoned 1919 owners agree that the cloth belt is preferred because it offers increased feeding reliability and less wear and tear on the gun. However, most people agree that links are the way to go due to the high cost of a 1918 belt loader.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Chad G said:
What about the USGI links that http://www.coledistributing.com/ is selling are these any good for use in an israeli gun or are the same feed mechanisms?
those Browning Links, 1000 for 24.94 are for 30-06 rounds.........now I have read that they will work with .308 ammo, but you can't seat the rounds all the way in them......30-06 links are smaller in diameter then .308 casing.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The best deal on links is from wideners. $10 /1,000 USGI if you call them. .30/06 links work fine with .308 as long as you don't seat the round all the way. Push it in until the front of the case mouth is at the front edge of the small loop on the link. It works fine and is much cheaper than Izzy links. FWIW

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That sounds simple enough, I'll give it a go, I can buy a couple thousand and have $$$ left over a tripod, Woot Woot!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts