1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Looks to be one of the rifles imported by Jovino. If the import mark is not readily visible look under the rear sight ladder it will probably be there - JJCO.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Looks to be one of the rifles imported by Jovino. If the import mark is not readily visible look under the rear sight ladder it will probably be there - JJCO.
Jovino also bought the remaining Lithgow parts stock and assembled "new looking" guns. If you are a purist, you got to be careful and know what to look for. I once bought a beautiful .22 Lithgow 1941 No1 MkIII that was a parts gun. The sights were canted. It went back on the market.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Jovino also bought the remaining Lithgow parts stock and assembled "new looking" guns. If you are a purist, you got to be careful and know what to look for. I once bought a beautiful .22 Lithgow 1941 No1 MkIII that was a parts gun. The sights were canted. It went back on the market.
Some were assembled by JJCO, some were actually assembled by Lithgow and have the Australian acceptance markings.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Check to make sure that the "front" stock has recoil plates. I believe that some Jovino rifles are missing these, and it can lead to the wood getting messed up.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Check to make sure that the "front" stock has recoil plates. I believe that some Jovino rifles are missing these, and it can lead to the wood getting messed up.
That is correct, well worth checking for.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I think I found an answer to my own question (Google 1st)
Those would be what to look for.

That Pakistani .303 may give you reliability problems and is corrosive so be sure to clean your rifle well after firing. Ballistol is what I recommend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those would be what to look for.

That Pakistani .303 may give you reliability problems and is corrosive so be sure to clean your rifle well after firing. Ballistol is what I recommend.
Thanks. I wondered what country the ammo was. I suspected it was corrosive. Unfortunately I think the previous owner fired it long ago without proper cleaning. He told me he shot it once years ago, and that is why one box is missing a few rounds. The bore is very dark. I haven't tried cleaning it yet. Doesn't bother me much, since it is mostly for display. I probably have a dozen other SMLE rifles. If I feel the need to shoot one, I won't use this ammo. :)

-Ray

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Pakistani .303 may give you reliability problems.....
It depends on how well the lot was stored. I've a few thousand rounds of Pakistani that shoot well but it is dirty. The best on the market recently was the Greek .303 but I believe all of the stocks have been sold.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I found a 1916 Lithgow SMLE today, import mark is very small and hidden right underneath the mag cut off screw area. Very very nice blonde furniture with more ink stamps than a truck stop lot lizard.

I'll pick it up after christmas.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
These people should not own collectible military surplus guns.
I got to cleaning it last night and the bore is not as bad as I expected. With a light cleaning the lands are bright and not pitted. The grooves are still dark but will probably clean up with a bore brush.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I still have a can of JB bore paste for these things.

If I could get my camera , firefox and photobucket to all work together I'd post my collection

1 - 18 of 18 Posts