1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on a blast 'em up day Tuesday with the 1919...

I ordered a keg of 846T and an ammo can full of 7.62 tracer bullets from Pats. Does anybody have reload data for this powder bullet combo.

Karl

·
Registered
847 Posts
This worked in the 1919a4 "Orange Tip Tracer 145gr OAL = 2.8" WC846T 45.0gr BRASS = LC"

I also tried 46.0gr which also worked. The gun cycled fine with either load.

PS: 145gr is the projectile weight

·
Registered
95 Posts
With a each keg of powder you need to ALWAYS work up your loads. My current keg of 846T I bought last summer is fast as hell and my current load for the exact bullet and case your using is 38 grains. Shooting out of a sa 1919a4 with a crank fire.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Glass,
Did you push pin hole the foil ? That alone helps a lot !
I'm not following the reasoning in that. Not to mention, it would be quite a tedious function of the process :) Aren't these tracer activated by pressure/velocity of the loadings?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I'm not following the reasoning in that. Not to mention, it would be quite a tedious function of the process :) Aren't these tracer activated by pressure/velocity of the loadings?
That's what I think too. I understand that punching a hole in the foil would help, just don't understand why they aren't working as designed.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,440 Posts
Brass,
tracer are lit off by the powder burning thru the foil and igniting the trace pellet in the barrel that is why it uses a T designated powder it burns hotter not faster just hotter .

Glass,
the Trace pellets are old and probably a bit damp from your trace to fail rate but if you pin hole the foil it should get you a higher trace rate , Or you actually have a can of 846 not 846T, It is a shame you loaded 1k of them without testing because pin holed 846 should ignite them ok but it is not burning thru the foil in all but a few . You may indeed have 846T but the damp pellets are not getting enough time in the hot gas to ignite after the foil has burnt away and they may be too old and damp to ignite . Are they 30-06 tracers or true 7.62 X 51 tracers ?

I have run into this problem before and pin holing cured the problem to a very large extent in all but the oldest tracers and a number of them still traced .

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have been loading IMR4895 behind the .30 cal 145 grain orange tip tracers with 100 percent light rate. I wasn't aware of powders specific for tracers. Does anyone know which commercial powders are "hot" vs "cold"? The tracers I'm using are at least 40 years old and not doing anything special before seating them.

·
Registered
619 Posts
i have been using Hodgdon H-335 with .308 and .223 tracers for years. Not only does it light the tracers, it puts on a pretty impressive light show of it's own.......

AZB

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I also loaded up a bunch of the M62 tracers and had about the same lite rate as Glass. However I also tried a bunch of the M25 tracers and got about 95% lite out of them, all in 7.62 brass. I think the M62 is not as good quality as the older M25 bullets. I didn't pierce the cups on either one. I might try another run of the M62 pierced and see how they work. However, when I bought htem from Pat they were described as "may not lite". Boy was that the truth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just an FYI - The newer caliber tracer bullets like M856 and M62 will usually have a much better light rate as the ignitors in the tracer element haven't degraded yet. There are a couple of exceptions though. Any tracer bullet, .223 or ,308, that has a WHITE closure cup in the base of the bullet will have a very, very low light rate. Usually 2-3%. I haven't seen these on the market in great numbers since the mid 2000's but beware of them because I still see folks at gunshots selling them. You Might as well buy a ball bullet because the ball bullet won't start a fire when that 3& of the bullets actually light just when you don't want them to! The bullets with a copper closure cup have very few blinds and usually will have a light rate in the high 90% with ball powder like 844/846 and also there is no difference between 844 and 844T. The de-miller's are only identifying that the powder came from a tracer round so don't let that influence you to pay more! If there was a difference the powder would have a different number. If you're having a hard time getting a tracer to light try using IMR4895. I have had light rates of 60% go up to 100% by switching from a ball powder, H335/844/846, etc, to an extruded powder like IMR4895/3031. It really helps!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I did load up another 500 using the same 44 grains of 846T that I got from Pat's and pierced the foil in back. Will shoot some next week and report back. What I don't understand is how the trace compound could get damp if it is sealed behind copper foil.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Let us know what happens. Inquiring minds want to know, plus I still have about 15,000 of the cheap M62 tracers Pat was selling as "may not lite". Boy is that ever the case.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, I got a 50 cal ammo can full of Pat's "may not light" tracers. Maybe one in twenty light up. If anybody had luck with the pierce the foil trick with this lot of tracer, please post it here.

Karl

·
Registered
18 Posts
One of the things I've had a better light rate with is IMR4895. Lights those older ignitors a little more reliably. Doesn't make them 100% by any means but improves the light rate. This does not work on any of the plastic closure cupped tracer in 7.62 or 5.56; those things are just impossible to light. Those ignitors are toast and my best success I've seen is 1 light in 200 on a good day. Won't light for anything! I've also never had an improvement from piercing the copper closure cup...never seemed to make a difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts