1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to give a tank trigger build a try and I'm on my way.
Thought you might want to see how I'm making out. :)

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo216/scooter58/WP_20151108_001_zpsjmbdh59g.jpg

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo216/scooter58/WP_20151108_004_zpsww25svjt.jpg

My 60's contractors are wearing out on my South Bend so it looks like I'm going to install a new VFD. She growled alot this weekend. :jedicrying:

Oh and the wife came home with a 32 foot camper, fully furnished....:help:

Steamer

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to learn to stop working first.. and that will probably kill me so I won't get to travel.

I have one on my 11 " Rockwell Lathe, AutomationDirect G2 Love it and it works great.

Steamer

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
The jig worked well for you?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GSG, Yes the jig worked well and was used to mill down the sides after the band was formed around the jig. I made up 2 sets for my 2 tank guns.
I need to knock out the stabilizer piece that the handle attaches to to finish it up. Tig is great on a project like this.
Steamer :)

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
steamer SEZ "....a 32 foot camper, fully furnished...."

"Camper?" 32 feet of indoors is 'camping'? (Knock, knock. Who's there? Can I use your toilet?)

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
For my wife, thats camping......nice being able to stop on a long drive and use a clean toilet as well as take a shower

·
Registered
233 Posts
The VFD will be a good upgrade for you. Way less wear and tear on the mechanical bits. Plus the extra speed control and torque boost are really nice. Just do yourself a favor and don't buy an Allen Bradley, the power flex drives are junk.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GWR1 It is my wife's camper, NOT mine.. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

One learns not to argue when she says your not right.:D You ask her if you can use her toliet, I'm staying in the shop. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

VFD: I am using AutomationDirect
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ts_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC)/GS2-23P0

Will install it shortly and replace all the old contractor boxes and switches with this little package.

On another note related to my original post: Does anyone have a pic of the inside of the tank showing the gun in place with the handle and trigger??:help:

Steamer:)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Automation Direct makes nice high value gear. You must have done your homework!

I use there PLCs for standalone/small processes that don't need access to the control network in the plant. Solid and surprisingly well featured for the price point.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the lathe is back in operation as of today. I installed a new VFD and programmed it to the motor specs. This is the second one I have wired up and it is very easy to do.
I did make one error although not a show stopper. I installed a 3 hp vfd on a 2 HP motor. I can tell you it didn't seem to make any difference.

The lathe runs quieter than before and goes forward and reverse, I can wire up a jog button if I felt the need as well as many other features.

All in all I am very happy that I am back in business!

Steamer:)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Won't hurt anything at all, I live and breathe frequency drives at work and wire several up a week. Very rarely does the size actually match the motor we are controlling. Just don't go too small, that doesn't work so hot!

One of the great benefits of a drive is less wear and tear on the mechanical components, something as simple as acting like a soft start has doubled the life of pumps for me. Another nice aspect is that you know without a shadow of a doubt that the power coming out is clean and phase to phase perfect, no ripples or harmonics.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would like the lathe to stop a little faster. Should I add the braking resistors? I lowered the time of deceleration already.
I want to add the jog function also but need to get a jog button.
Steamer

·
Registered
230 Posts
Steamer, I have a VFD on a SB16 and it works great. I put the stop, stop, and direction controls, out on the enclosure that I mounted the VFD in. That way I'm clear during the wind up. I installed a big red estop button near the gear box, and a toggle switch to bump the speed up and down.

The estop can be programmed to brake the lathe very quickly. I have it set right now to one or two revolutions, and it can be programmed to stop even faster. All of that is without a braking resistor.

E

·
Registered
233 Posts
Look for a setting called DC injection braking or some variation there of, should be a percentage or just a value. Increase it to make the lathe stop faster, what it does is takes away the three phase and dumps DC directly from the bus into the windings. Can make the rotor dead stop if you go too high. Braking resistors are really only needed for large intertial loads like centrifuges or hammer mills. Stuff that can induce current in the windings and act like a generator.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have another question,
I have been running the lathe for a couple days now and it seems to run slower than it did before.
the motor is 2 hp 1745 rpm 5.5 amps
When I programmed the VFD I entered the MAX rpm as 1745. This was off the main motor plate. Is this really the max the motor will safely run? or can I crank it up? I would think the motor RPM's would be somewhat under rated on the motor plate. The book says call the manufacturer to get the max RPM but the motor is an old delco motor and I doubt they are still around.
What should I do??? Is there a percentage that I could go over 1745RPM and be ok?

Steamer:help:

·
Registered
230 Posts
cps = cycles per second or hertz(Hz). Frequency of the input AC power.

The motor speed is directly related to the number of poles in the motor(its construction) and the frequency of the input AC power. The VFD controls speed by changing the frequency of the input AC power. If your motor is running slowly it could be because the VFD is set to less than 60cps/hz.

E

·
Registered
233 Posts
Here's the thing about a VFD if you don't have some form of a tach generator on the motor the rpm is just a guess. The VFD calculates it based on the rpm you enter and the frequency it is currently running at.

Are you adjusting speed on the drive itself? If you are set the max speed 65 hz and dial it up all the way. The extra 5hz won't hurt anything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts