1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Can't be 100% certain, but it looks like a very early, post WWI Colt commercial gun. Still has the same basic receiver construction as the WWI Model of 1917, but has other features that are more in line with commercial production rather than U.S. Military. The large screw for the breech lock cam, on the bottom plate, is one such example. Also, there is definitely a feedway front spacer for a caliber shorter than the original 30-06, so it may be any number of things. We know these were made in 7mm Mauser, 303 British, etc. The earliest commercial Colt marking I've seen is Model of 1919, not to be confused with the military air cooled version. They later updated the model number to 1924, but I think by then it may have had the modified bottom/side plate construction. This is definitely made shortly after WWI, assuming it to be Colt as I expect. No one else would have been able to make these, Colt holding all mfg rights following the war.

Is this gun for sale in Europe?

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Can't be 100% certain, but it looks like a very early, post WWI Colt commercial gun. Still has the same basic receiver construction as the WWI Model of 1917, but has other features that are more in line with commercial production rather than U.S. Military. The large screw for the breech lock cam, on the bottom plate, is one such example. Also, there is definitely a feedway front spacer for a caliber shorter than the original 30-06, so it may be any number of things. We know these were made in 7mm Mauser, 303 British, etc. The earliest commercial Colt marking I've seen is Model of 1919, not to be confused with the military air cooled version. They later updated the model number to 1924, but I think by then it may have had the modified bottom/side plate construction. This is definitely made shortly after WWI, assuming it to be Colt as I expect. No one else would have been able to make these, Colt holding all mfg rights following the war.

Is this gun for sale in Europe?
Colt used the "C" serial number prefix on M1911's intended for commercial sale, so its not a stretch to conclude that they would have used it on other military weapons intended for sale to the general market.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hello
some pics
O marking on rear grip parts and condensing tube
put blued cover with correct sight ?
thanks
olivier

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Very, very nice! The French have very different notions about de-milling than US. :eek:

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
....demill...?

Either I'm going blind...or just in a hurry...but where has this piece been 'demilled'...? Wish I could find one 'demilled' like that....LOL.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hello
yes AN is french official prof demil , only bolt and barrel before 2006
from 2006 to april 7 2016 , bolt , barrel not removable from trunion
from april 8 2016 , all welded .....
later , crushed !!!!

olivier

1 - 8 of 8 Posts