1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't bought a new single stage press in 40 years but need to purchase one now. What are your recommendations?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
What are you going to load on it-- rifle or pistol?

For rifle, RCBS Rockchucker would be my first choice. It can be used for handgun as well, and is one of the best-built presses out there.

Of course there's always the red/blue/green argument to confuse the issue, but the Rockchucker has been a top press for more years than I can recall.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Hard to beat RCBS. Have two Dillon Square Deals and a Dillon 650, but I still use my 45 year old Rockchucker from time to time on small batches.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I like the new Lee press that you can do 50 caliber loading. I have the 50 dies but use it more for normal rifle and pistol loads. It works great and on sale is decent priced. Like it so much I now have 2.

Steamer

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Rockchucker is hard to beat but I like this newer model from RCBS, the Summit. This press gets around the awkward positioning of the handle and the edge of the table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97_iFx70TU8

All my reloading is done on either a Dillon 550 or 650 but I still keep a single stage setup on the bench for depriming before cleaning.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Id get the rockchucker, in fact have multiples. I bought the summit earlier this year after the engineer at RCBS booth at NRA show explained how perfect it is for precise repeatable bullet seating but there is a huge design flaw in this press.

The column is aprox 2" diameter steel bar, nice and strong, the base, which has a 2" diameter socket that the column drops in, this would be fine if the depth of the pocket was eqaul to the diameter of the column, but its barely 1/2" deep and just has two 1/4" allen screws that keep the column in the socket. The column to base fit was nice and tight for about 30 rds but now the top of the column move almost .08" front to back, which results in varied OAL of my .338 Lapua cartridges . They are all diff lengths, varying as much as .018 .

There is no way to resolve, its a great idea for a press that went straight from engineering to sales floor without letting real re-loaders that reload year round proof test.

Sorry for the long winded rant , the summit will also result in pinched fingers and cracked knuckles as the handle will fall and the die will crash into your hand when least expected, my thumbnail has finaly grown out, buy the rock chucker, its a well proven design

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I still use a very old RCBS junior for resizing all bottleneck rifle cartridges, but if I were to do this today, it would be the Rock Chucker, no question. If the Junior goes toes up it will be replaced by a Rock Chucker.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,389 Posts
I have a number of presses ,crush a 50 BMG no problem but you know my hands down favorite single stage the Lee hand press :cool: since much of the loading process is "mindless" it allows you to watch TV and process brass :rofl: I work all the way up to Win .458 Mag with it with ease all in your lap :D

well designed, good leverage ,durable and Cheap ,it fits in a 50 cal can :tongue: !! I have one i bought back in the 80`s still running and a new "Bushing Lock" ,set the die in a quick lock bushing never mess with adjustment again :cool::cool: model.

Hands or between your knees a Great little press for less than $50 :tongue: !!!!

Tv or on the move, portable and compact .

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I still use a very old RCBS junior for resizing all bottleneck rifle cartridges, but if I were to do this today, it would be the Rock Chucker, no question. If the Junior goes toes up it will be replaced by a Rock Chucker.
The RCBS Junior is great little press. I have had one for over thirty five years, never had a bit of problem with it. Use it now primarily to deprime brass before cleaning.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The RCBS Junior is great little press. I have had one for over thirty five years, never had a bit of problem with it. Use it now primarily to deprime brass before cleaning.
Pretty much my choice

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
...great starter...and cheap...

LEE 50th Anniversery kit with the breech-lock press. Or...just the press,rather than the complete kit. This is what I use and just did 100-rds of 30/06 today in my showroom. Did 6K-.223 and 4K-.308 last year on it....just for myself. Same press has been used for over 6-yrs....not a single problem. And I'm a DILLON dealer...load over 100-different cals.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been using a RCBS Rockchucker for a couple years, as have a couple others I know. It has never given any problems and is very accurate with the Hornady Lock N Load bushing installed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts