1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to install a secondary security system in and on the periphery of my "fun" area. Anyone have any experience, ideas, or recommendations? How's the wireless stuff work?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Have an ADT Pulse system that is wireless, can be controlled from my cell phone. Also has a security camera that be viewed either on PC, tablet or smart phone.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I use Simplisafe on my "area" as a secondary system. Installed myself. Only thing I'm waiting for is them to get their cameras worked out.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I've had a security system for years. The amount of security you get is all about the sensors installed and the placement of those items. Hardwiring will be better because it gives tamper protection - it will sense if a sensor has been cut out. Of course, its a LOT of work to install after the fact.

I currently have an ADT panel with 32 zones. It works well but is a stone ***** to program. When I upgrade, I'll be sure to get one that connects to a PC for programming.

I've not researched lately but I'd like to upgrade to a system that integrates with video cameras. For example - if any sensor is tripped send my phone a pic from each camera.

On the subject of video - its all about camera quality. The cheap ones will just let you know some grainy out of focus image went by.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
...me too...

I use Simplisafe on my "area" as a secondary system. Installed myself. Only thing I'm waiting for is them to get their cameras worked out.
Can't give these guys enough praise. I set the alarm off...wife had left the house and had not let me know....and they called within 1-min. Had to give code and pass word and reset alarm before they gave the OK. Only 14.99 @ month for complete 24-hr coverage on house,barn,garage,etc.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've installed Simplisafe on both my houses, it's incredibly easy...the best thing for me is there is no need to have a stranger come into the house to install.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
What ever system you decide on I highly recommend one that uses a wireless signal rather than one that uses a land line. With a wireless system the cell towers in your area would have to be down to prevent it from reporting.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Do you want instant response to a situation, or the (posted) promise of a thorough followup to any incident? Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

As a secondary security system, you might want one which cannot easily be hacked, so that eliminates wireless. The (preferably) digital recorder should be inside a very heavy duty safe, protected against fire and humidity and bolted to the concrete floor, along with all your other 'valuables' inside. Cameras, wiring and power sources are secondary in your consideration, as to whether they are subject to darkness, interruption, hacking, power outages, wiring interruptions, vandalism and such. Any alert alarm, inside or outside, needs to be inaccessible and 'louder than hell.' How much coverage do you need, how many locations, do you want color and good image quality? Do you want instant notification to you and/or authorities, or posted warnings advising quality recording and virtually guaranteeing prosecution and conviction after-the-fact, thus possibly resulting in prevention? Landline connection, (not as too easily intercepted, but subject to cutting), to notification of you/authorities, or (more hack-able) cellular notification? Then you want to consider quality/reliability/reputation of the company and its product.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts