1919 A4 Forums banner

Looking for advice on value

4K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  redroth 
#1 · (Edited)
It's that time in life to thin the herd of some of the "heavier pieces." I injured myself last year and am having physical problems lugging the heavy stuff, e.g., Turk tripod, to the range.

I'm thinking of (this is not an ad!) selling my 8mm semi-auto Turkish Vickers, tripod, and accessories. As much as it's possible, I'm looking for approximate market values in today's wacky world.

The gun's assembled on a Halo SA plate. This was a gun IMA dummied and I had build in .303 by John McGuire using what original parts I could salvage and other Lithgow parts. Before I injured myself, I had it reworked in 8mm by Dennis using an original 8mm barrel, feedblock, and extractor.

The Maxim MG08/15 ammo drum is an IMA repop. The ZF-12 sight has a cracked lens but I have an extra sight body with a good lens that I would thrown in.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
I saw a listing on GB for a semi vickers that didnt sell for $7050, had the tripod and gun. I paid $2100 for a minty Australian tripod a year ago. My 7.62x54r conversion with all the parts supplied will be in $800-900 range when complete. No clue what the premium is for turkish stuff but that's been my experience.

#8 ·
My Guess

tripod 1500-2000
gun with both 303 and 8mm 5-7,000 again this is an estimate.

the 8mm makes it better because some people want those parts, but 8mm is getting harder to find and expensive
as is 54r

303 has been ignorant priced for a long time!

#10 ·
You’ll have to break it up. Semi Vickers sit forever above $6000 because that’s a lot of money for most people. And, with a kit at $2000 and a build at $3000, people forget about the shipping, FFL , etc.

It’s Turkish but it’s most likely made from a WW1 gun, which is a real bonus. Heat the Turk stuff off and it’ll sell for more.

#12 · (Edited)
You’ll have to break it up. Semi Vickers sit forever above $6000 because that’s a lot of money for most people. And, with a kit at $2000 and a build at $3000, people forget about the shipping, FFL , etc.

It’s Turkish but it’s most likely made from a WW1 gun, which is a real bonus. Heat the Turk stuff off and it’ll sell for more.
Being that this is a WWI Turkish gun, and those parts are unique to that gun, I do not necessarily agree. For a smooth jacket Australian gun, I would not disagree that it may be better to break up. BTW, can I buy one of your WWI kits for $2,000? I have a buddy looking for one. PM the pictures to me please, have cash in hand.

#16 ·
I’d assume because at least in USA, there’s a pecking order in collectible values. Ww2 is number 1. Civil war number 2 but limited. Vietnam now hot, followed by memories of Korea gaining interest. Ww2 German stuff has always been hot. Turkish, French, Italian, not so much. Ww2 Japanese has really only gained significant interest in the past five years.

#19 ·
#18 ·
I have to agree with Rory oldsoldier and built Vickers today hold good value and will sell. There is no one building them and a lot of guys want one so the demand is there and the market is red hot on semi's these days. The tripod is 2000-2500 all day, the IMA repro drum? Herd to say but I was told they never worked but have not tried one to be honest. I have only played with originals and that is all I buy. I never did the repro stuff so really do not know the market.

#20 ·
Been a long time since I saw a WWI fluted jacket semi Vickers for sale. Plus this also has all of the Turkish accessories, drum, panoramic sight, and AA parts. This is also a well sorted gun. Probably has a full set of .303 and 8MM parts. It is a nice package, being a Turkish gun really doesn’t effect the price, my gun was originally a Turkish gun which was converted back to standard British (unsolder front AA mount and fill hole for AA flag sight in top cover, voila a Brit gun). If he decides to sell it, who ever gets it will be getting an excellent package

#23 ·
You have a beautiful piece. I have seen the turk models like yours with tripod sell over the past couple years ( locally and on-line)for around $5,200-$6,800 range. You couldn't have a better builder than John Mcguire. He is top notch on every build he does from the 1919 browning's to the M2 &M3 HB. Hope this helps somewhat.

#25 ·
It seems to me that most of value is coming from the connection to history. The Vickers is know for being a WWI British MG. Thats why that model gets the most money, because thats what people want. Its also why Turk stuff is not as valuable. No one knows about the Turks using the Vickers or really care that much... the demand is much lower even if the options they added were pretty cool. The demand in Europe for Nazi marked Maxim stuff is much lower too. No one thinks of the Maxim in WWII. Its a WWI gun and WWII marked items are not period correct. WWII collectors want a MG34 and MG42, not a second rate Maxim. We see this all the time. Items that are related to something in history will bring more than something that is better made or designed without historical significance.

#26 ·
I think the Turk contract guns were pretty great and made some of the best use of the Vickers ever. A simple caliber conversion to 8mm allowed them to use up tons of left over ammo from the Jerrys. A bracket allowed them to mount old 08/15 drums to the side of the guns. A machine operation allowed a post to be fitted to the tripod for AA fire. A modified rear tripod leg allowed storage for the AA post. A block soldered to the top of the water jacket along with a folding arm on the top cover allowed AA sights to be used. The reality is that a there were only about 1100 Turk contract Vickers built and they SHOULD be worth more than a standard British or Australian specimen. Add to that they ALL had to go through a rebuild program before they were sent to Turkey so most of them are not worn out and none are "DP".

If a standard Brit tripod sells for 2k - add a few hundred for a correct Turkish contract tripod with the AA mount and azimuth ring - minimum. Advice is free though....

#28 ·
Add to that they ALL had to go through a rebuild program before they were sent to Turkey so most of them are not worn out and none are "DP".
The Brits didn't seem to send junk to Turkey. In fact, some were new guns. The V-series ground gun I currently have was built on a Turk kit. You can see where Dennis had to lightly grind the top of the trunnion to remove the solder before refinishing. V-series guns were produced during WWII. See GOL p. 156.

#27 ·
This was fortuitous, missing some parts but in the right price range.

#30 ·
I sure like the Turkish stuff.
I like the Turk tripods because they are taller.
Larger footprint for stability too.
I like the AA mount. Especially because it stores in the rear leg.
I like the larger feet too.
I will gladly trade British Vickers stuff for Turkish Vickers stuff.
Locks and Feedblocks definitely

#32 ·
Yes in most markets but look at 1928 Colt water cooled guns vs 1917A1's because there were far more A1'a made and US Colt 28's are at the top of the rare list when it comes to water cooleds but because the A1's had the romance of being in WWII they hold better in the market and demand a higher price. Some stuff in our hobby will never make sense.

Reactions: Colt44mag21
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.