1919 A4 Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
My observation is that Turk kits sell for less than ww2 kits and far less than WW1 kits. But most Turks are WW1 with junk brazed on them. Take the stuff off and it’s a British WW1 kit. I don’t care for Turk kits, and apparently do most potential buyers. But they also don’t know they are converted from WW1 guns.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a beautiful gun. But I stand by what I believe influences market value
I tend to agree. But, Turk water jackets were some of the best on the market (that is until IMA got ahold of them). Anyway, sometimes the market just doesn't make sense. For example, smooth jacket guns (about 25,000 produced) seem to be less desirable when there were almost 4 times (94,253) as many fluted (corrugated) jacket guns produced. BTW, I have another fluted V Series so I won't be Vicker-less.

You have a beautiful piece. I have seen the turk models like yours with tripod sell over the past couple years ( locally and on-line)for around $5,200-$6,800 range. You couldn't have a better builder than John Mcguire. He is top notch on every build he does from the 1919 browning's to the M2 &M3 HB. Hope this helps somewhat.

I think this seller is a member here. This gun has been up for a few weeks now. It'll never sell at $10K, I'd consider this price your absolute ceiling.

Midwest Metal Creations MMC Semi-Auto Vickers - with Tripod & FREE SHIPPING - Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com : 894005373

I wanted to add: that's a really nice looking Vickers and tripod. The optic and drum are getting pricey.
His price is high, but for someone wanting the nicest possible man cave display that they can still shoot, that'll be hard to beat. That said, I bet he'll have to lower the price to 8 or 8.5 before he gets a buyer.

@OP
A lot of people stick their nose up at Turkish stuff. Personally I only stick my nose up at it because 90% of the turkish firearms I find are mismatched 100% which personally drives me nuts. Not an expert on Vickers but I'd keep the gun with the mount and if you wanted them to move reasonably fast, $7500+ shipping would be what I'd ask if it were mine.

It seems to me that most of value is coming from the connection to history. The Vickers is know for being a WWI British MG. Thats why that model gets the most money, because thats what people want. Its also why Turk stuff is not as valuable. No one knows about the Turks using the Vickers or really care that much... the demand is much lower even if the options they added were pretty cool. The demand in Europe for Nazi marked Maxim stuff is much lower too. No one thinks of the Maxim in WWII. Its a WWI gun and WWII marked items are not period correct. WWII collectors want a MG34 and MG42, not a second rate Maxim. We see this all the time. Items that are related to something in history will bring more than something that is better made or designed without historical significance.

I think the Turk contract guns were pretty great and made some of the best use of the Vickers ever. A simple caliber conversion to 8mm allowed them to use up tons of left over ammo from the Jerrys. A bracket allowed them to mount old 08/15 drums to the side of the guns. A machine operation allowed a post to be fitted to the tripod for AA fire. A modified rear tripod leg allowed storage for the AA post. A block soldered to the top of the water jacket along with a folding arm on the top cover allowed AA sights to be used. The reality is that a there were only about 1100 Turk contract Vickers built and they SHOULD be worth more than a standard British or Australian specimen. Add to that they ALL had to go through a rebuild program before they were sent to Turkey so most of them are not worn out and none are "DP".

If a standard Brit tripod sells for 2k - add a few hundred for a correct Turkish contract tripod with the AA mount and azimuth ring - minimum. Advice is free though....

This was fortuitous, missing some parts but in the right price range.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Add to that they ALL had to go through a rebuild program before they were sent to Turkey so most of them are not worn out and none are "DP".
The Brits didn't seem to send junk to Turkey. In fact, some were new guns. The V-series ground gun I currently have was built on a Turk kit. You can see where Dennis had to lightly grind the top of the trunnion to remove the solder before refinishing. V-series guns were produced during WWII. See GOL p. 156.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
This was fortuitous, missing some parts but in the right price range.

Some parts you can't find. Try to find the right and left traverse stops ......

I sure like the Turkish stuff.
I like the Turk tripods because they are taller.
Larger footprint for stability too.
I like the AA mount. Especially because it stores in the rear leg.
I like the larger feet too.
I will gladly trade British Vickers stuff for Turkish Vickers stuff.
Locks and Feedblocks definitely

I too like the turkish vickers because of the modifications and the fact they were fewer of them you would think they would be more sought after. which typically equals more $$$$.
Yes in most markets but look at 1928 Colt water cooled guns vs 1917A1's because there were far more A1'a made and US Colt 28's are at the top of the rare list when it comes to water cooleds but because the A1's had the romance of being in WWII they hold better in the market and demand a higher price. Some stuff in our hobby will never make sense.

Reactions: Colt44mag21
I too like the Turkish Vickers because of the modifications and the fact they were fewer of them you would think they would be more sought after. which typically equals more $$$$.
I would look at this more as a comparison between a USGI M1919A4 and an Israeli modified M1919A4. The Turkish guns were all originally British and I believe US Colt Vickers guns and tripods. They fabricated some bolt on parts and soldered on a front AA pedestal (which is easily removable). They added 8MM extractors, feed blocks, and barrels. There is no good reason why a Turkish gun isn't worth essentially the same as a British one and I would argue more if in 8MM as you can always retrofit to .303.

Frankly I have not seen any fluted jacket WWI semi auto Vickers guns come up for sale in the recent past. The fluted jackets typically bring a premium of over a smooth jacket gun even in kit form.

If the person who acquires it doesn't like the Turkish bits, just sell them. The 8MM conversion, 08/15 ammo drum, and ZF12 panoramic sight w/case and mount will bring a nice return. In fact I am willing to take them off the future buyers hands (if it comes up for sale) so they don't clutter his/her shelf.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.