1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at stepping into my first belt fed that’s not semi. im thinking a 1919. if you have one your looking at moving or know of one message me. Would be open to just a transferable plate as well. Im in Indiana. Might possibly be open to a Watercooled.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
A 2c comment. I have had a 1919 and an ANM-2 for many years. I recall shooting the ANM-2 some years ago. I was interested in checking the rate of fire difference between it and a German gun. I have never fired the 1919. My opinion is that the water cooled guns are so much more practical. We can shoot 750 rnds in succession before the water boils. That is only 220 degrees or so....certainly not enough to be harmful to anything. If you field two or three of them you can just move from gun to gun while the previous one cools. The 1919s I see on the lines dont seem to suffer any from extended firing. Just doesnt seem to be the thing to do with an uncooled barrel.

And they are not particularly expensive. A man can buy two or three for the price of a new car....certainly a better investment!!!!!!!

PJH

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I think a 1919a4 for most is the way to go. While I understand PJH here, most new people don't have the ammo to shoot that amount of ammo. Also adding waterjackets to the list does add time and cleaning. If you want to pop it into the car, shoot, back into the car and be done, a 1919a4 is the way to go. Now like PJH says, if you want to shoot the whole 9 yards, a Watercooled is the way to go. I have a MG08 and MG08/15 and I do enjoy them but there is no doubt that a 1919a4 is better for most. They are jumping in value now, so go find one if you can still in the teens...

I tell people the 3 guns I suggest for all people into FA is a M11 (Mac with Lage upgrades), a M16 and a 1919a4. You can do so much with that combo, that you cover a huge range of the MG world and have the most room for the future. The M11 is proving to accept the most upgrades of any SMG on the market, the M16 has just a ton of upgrades and the 1919a4 is proving to shoot any caliber of the first rounds thats available and cheap.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think a 1919a4 for most is the way to go. While I understand PJH here, most new people don't have the ammo to shoot that amount of ammo. Also adding waterjackets to the list does add time and cleaning. If you want to pop it into the car, shoot, back into the car and be done, a 1919a4 is the way to go. Now like PJH says, if you want to shoot the whole 9 yards, a Watercooled is the way to go. I have a MG08 and MG08/15 and I do enjoy them but there is no doubt that a 1919a4 is better for most. They are jumping in value now, so go find one if you can still in the teens...

I tell people the 3 guns I suggest for all people into FA is a M11 (Mac with Lage upgrades), a M16 and a 1919a4. You can do so much with that combo, that you cover a huge range of the MG world and have the most room for the future. The M11 is proving to accept the most upgrades of any SMG on the market, the M16 has just a ton of upgrades and the 1919a4 is proving to shoot any caliber of the first rounds thats available and cheap.
I would agree with you. I guess my deal is I’m wanting to possibly get the 7.62x39 conversion so that means 1919 only I believe. Could be wrong. I like the idea as well as hate the idea of more work with a watercooled. I guess it will just come down to what shows up first for the right price. I see there are three main builds that are generally considered gtg, DLO, Group industries, Ramo. Any others that are considered safe? Not my first entry into NFA, but certainly my first NFA belt fed.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I would agree with you. I guess my deal is I’m wanting to possibly get the 7.62x39 conversion so that means 1919 only I believe. Could be wrong. I like the idea as well as hate the idea of more work with a watercooled. I guess it will just come down to what shows up first for the right price. I see there are three main builds that are generally considered gtg, DLO, Group industries, Ramo. Any others that are considered safe? Not my first entry into NFA, but certainly my first NFA belt fed.
I have a buddy doing a M37 7.62x39 Conversion with Troy... so it can be done we think... However a 1919a4 makes things a lot more simple. I would look for a 1919a4. I mean you could do a 1917 in 7.62 but that is even harder... Unless you are trying to shoot a lot, I mean a lot, and need watercooled, I would go with the 1919a4 if you really want 7.62x39 conversion.

As far as plates, I am not an expert but I think most are ok. You never know who built them but even if they screw it up a bit, reworking the sideplate correctly is not a total disaster. I am sure others can tell you better.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Water cooled is the way to go. There is something sweet about putting water into a gun. It sloshes around in the jacket, leaks from both ends, and then gun sizzles at the muzzle when I put 50 round belt through it. Its nice watching it drain, refilling the jacket and then container set itself is also fun.

I shot my MG 08/15 from factory bipod, 1919 tripod with adapter, and 1917 tripod with 2 adapters. Its versatile.

If you can afford both, get water cooled and 1919!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Smallbuilder, don't know how serious you are about getting an A4 but I live in Michigan and have a C&R A4 I've considered selling. Prefer a package deal to include belt filler, tripod, 4 caliber conversions (30-06, 7.62x51, 8mm, & 7.65 Mauser as well as blank firing) and a pedestal mount with an Israeli 3 gun cradle. Lots of spare parts included as well as a homemade transit chest and spade grips.Can be tested out back.

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you spend all day or several days out shooting, and that is your main thing, consider a 1917a1 that is izzy 308 built. Your probably going to have a hard time finding one that was built that way but the do come up sometimes that way it already has all the IZZY mods. Make sure it was built by a reputable builder and you know the gun runs in the calibers you intend to shoot it, its not unreasonable to ask for video of it shooting say 308 or jump a flight to go see it run. A plate build or rebuild might be the best way to go to get exactly what you want that was the path I took. A 1919a4 izzy gun is so much easier quick and portable and practical and versatile for most shooters who run out for the afternoon or a mix of shooting. The guys I know who shoot for the day dont regret getting a 1917a1.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
...Couple other options to consider that are less of a 1-trip pony
- M16 RR with Fightlight upper
- HK sear and MM21e/23e host
I have a M16 with a Fightlight upper. I would not suggest that to anyone. It seems most don't really get them running.
HK Sears are a money trap and the belt fed HK guns are not great shooters. We have several in our club and I don't see people shooting them often. I seem them working on them often. I am sure it can be done but that is a super expensive setup for a lot of hassle.

Frankly, I would suggest a 1917 over both these suggestions in my experience. Plus these are both over $30K suggestions in this market and the 1917s are only about $20K

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a M16 with a Fightlight upper. I would not suggest that to anyone. It seems most don't really get them running.
HK Sears are a money trap and the belt fed HK guns are not great shooters. We have several in our club and I don't see people shooting them often. I seem them working on them often. I am sure it can be done but that is a super expensive setup for a lot of hassle.

Frankly, I would suggest a 1917 over both these suggestions in my experience. Plus these are both over $30K suggestions in this market and the 1917s are only about $20K
I would agree. I don’t have the funds to dump over 30k on a gun. I’m torn between a 1919 or 1917a1. I like the thought of watercooled but I find myself thinking about how often I’ll go shorting and the easyness of grab and go of the 1919. Plus there’s more and easier conversions for the 1919. Water is just a pain in my butt.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I would agree. I don’t have the funds to dump over 30k on a gun. I’m torn between a 1919 or 1917a1. I like the thought of watercooled but I find myself thinking about how often I’ll go shorting and the easyness of grab and go of the 1919. Plus there’s more and easier conversions for the 1919. Water is just a pain in my butt.
I see this often. I like watercooled but its a project and to get it out and going. I am not doing it to shoot 200 rounds.

If you want to shoot 1K+ rounds a day or 250rd belts more than once... then watercooled is where you will need to be. If not, then for most Air cooled is the way to go. I would say it depends on how you shoot...

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the Flightlight. I stopped playing around with my M16 in shorty uppers and in 9mm with suppressors ect finding it too violent. I'm back to just the basics with it like it was originally designed by Stoner. Although I have an Armatec drum I haven't played with for a while I could always bring out but it takes forever to load one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had to answer this question many moons ago. My 1st beltfed was going to be a 1919A4 before my dealer told me to go big or go home. I shot his 1919A4 on a tripod and it didn't flip my switch. So I took his advice and got a M2HB. I don't regret the decision.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts