1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who are your favorite BP mortor makers. I’m looking for a cast with steel liner about 5-7”

Thanks, Aaron

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Go a little bigger and start scrounging bowling balls. This one belonged to an old forum member that hasn't posted in many years so he may not be around anymore.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bigger Morters is the new thing for us this year. WOW WHAT FUN
A 4”-7” already takes two people to carry it. I don’t want to have to rent a fork lift. Hahaha Yea it would be fun shooting that siege mortor though. I also plan on shooting zinc cannon balls which need to be dug out, so they don’t get shoot at on the range. That’s the plan at least.
Buddy baught some baitchi balls to shoot out of his 5” but I much prefer the zinc on impacting targets when you get it dialed in. Seems like the perfect size range for me. You can clearly see the cannon ball in flight and follow it at short ranges, ours are 150-200 yard; and the impacts are devistatingly good. Too much fun really. A great way to mix it up and take a break shooting your ammo and make it last much longer on the weekends. I should have taken some pics.

·
Premium Member
6,639 Posts
I can't help with a latger one but if you decide on something a bit smaller there are four papered Finnish smoke throwers in the estate I am handling which are 81mm. A bit easier to carry and your back will love you.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't help with a latger one but if you decide on something a bit smaller there are four papered Finnish smoke throwers in the estate I am handling which are 81mm. A bit easier to carry and your back will love you.
Thank you kindly Russ, but I’m going into the large diameter just to enjoy watching them fly as my eyes aren’t that good anymore.

Besides, don’t you need a tank for one of those?

·
Premium Member
6,639 Posts
I'll keep my eyes open for you and let you know if I spot one.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
There are plenty of youtube videos of people who have made bowling ball mortars from old Oxygen gas cylinders. I actually have an Oxygen cylinder that has been retired. One of these days I thought I would try to make one. You gotta have a lot of space to shoot one though.
I have to finish this 37mm build first. Then I plan to build a 12 gauge gatling gun.

Reactions: CaptMax

·
BeltFed GURU
4,416 Posts
Back years ago on Gerybreard`s Outdoors a guy built one that would fire a 5 gallon water cooler jug filled with concrete ! The Mother Of All Mortars ,bore was about 23+ inches weight Many tons mounted on a 4 axle trailer ,powder charge about 30 Lbs of BP range over a mile !! He posted a vid of it firing (i have tried in vain to find it ) it was Impressive !! The trailer bottomed the suspensions out on firing and you could see the jug in flight ,just the vid put a smile on your face !! It was a replica of the largest mortar from the Civil War and accurate down to the last rivet in the base !! OMG what a build !! Wish i could still find just a picture of it !!
Big enough for ya ? Bwa HA HA HA hahahahahaha

For All your cannon and "Cohorn" mortar needs you need to go here Blackpowder Mortar & Cannon by Seacoast Artillery These guys know Everything and are the best on the net just like this forum bar none !!

Here is a link to a youtube of a compressed gas 5 gal water jug projectle one for busting walls down

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
There is even a YouTube video out that shows a bowling ball mortar with a recoiling barrel.
I need to look into that more as it was a sweet setup.
CaptMax

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm building one right now that recoils with an accumulator cylinder similar to the M2A1. I'm scrapping the screw setup and going with an underlift cylinder.
Technically it's a bowling ball howitzer.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts