1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have switched jobs, and am now the OIC of the New Mexico National Guard Museum in Santa Fe NM. One of the goals of my new job is to get as many of the firearms in our vaults on display as possible. As part of that goal I have a very nice MP40 tube, and a mg08 that are forlornly sitting in storage due to lack of parts. If anyone has any spare (haha I know) parts that they would be interested in donating to help get these weapons back into the public eye it would be much appreciated. Donations are tax deductible, as we are a non profit, and a tax letter will be mailed to you for the IRS. No part is to small on this project, if you have a grip screw laying around that needs a home, we would be very appreciative. I'll post a picture of our 08 so you can see what she's missing.seems to be all the internals, as well as the muzzle cone.

Thank you!

Font Machine Machine tool

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
It looks like an 08/15 to me. That's what the sign says.

And you can see the butt stock and drum w/hanger.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
It's an MG08/15, not an MG08. The booster is different on the 08/15 than the 08. Appears in the two pics that the lock is missing, and locks are same for both German guns. Barrel muzzle requires a bushing or an early barrel with the flare that the bushing replaces. MG08 barrels can be used, but the muzzle bushing needs to be assembled to it.
Without more pics, can't tell what else is missing.......

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
It's an MG08/15, not an MG08. The booster is different on the 08/15 than the 08. Appears in the two pics that the lock is missing, and locks are same for both German guns. Barrel muzzle requires a bushing or an early barrel with the flare that the bushing replaces. MG08 barrels can be used, but the muzzle bushing needs to be assembled to it.
Without more pics, can't tell what else is missing.......
There's no feed block that I can see. The fusee spring cover will need to be opened to see what's inside. We'll also need to look at the closure plates and check lever and see how they are,

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
There's no feed block that I can see. The fusee spring cover will need to be opened to see what's inside. We'll also need to look at the closure plates and check lever and see how they are,
Yes on the first part... no on the second. The closer plates are attached to the back plate on the 08/15.

No feedblock and lock. I would not replace the lock, as its for display so who cares! Its a $500 part you will never see. Same with the barrel... Who cares if its there, you can't see it! Again with the fusee spring. Use Vickers spring as they are cheaper or skip it. I might have a bad Vickers spring I would donate!

I do have two feedblocks that might fit this role... however I am not sure I can afford to donate them. I will check and see how much I have in them. How about trades? Any spare parts to trade? I would be happy to trade you out stuff, even if I lose a bit, to help. However the parts you are looking for are not the easy ones I have tons of spares laying around...

Email me and we can talk more.... [email protected]

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Hello everyone, I have switched jobs, and am now the OIC of the New Mexico National Guard Museum in Santa Fe NM. One of the goals of my new job is to get as many of the firearms in our vaults on display as possible. As part of that goal I have a very nice MP40 tube, and a mg08 that are forlornly sitting in storage due to lack of parts. If anyone has any spare (haha I know) parts that they would be interested in donating to help get these weapons back into the public eye it would be much appreciated. Donations are tax deductible, as we are a non profit, and a tax letter will be mailed to you for the IRS. No part is to small on this project, if you have a grip screw laying around that needs a home, we would be very appreciative. I'll post a picture of our 08 so you can see what she's missing.seems to be all the internals, as well as the muzzle cone.
Thank you!
Do you want these weapons for display purposes only, or do you want them to function?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try to grab some more pictures tomorrow, I was in a rush today as we are shorthanded right now. I know we don't need the lock for display, but we also use the weapons as instructional tools for our armorers, and I'd love to be able to describe the action and show how it works. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I will try to grab some more pictures tomorrow, I was in a rush today as we are shorthanded right now. I know we don't need the lock for display, but we also use the weapons as instructional tools for our armorers, and I'd love to be able to describe the action and show how it works. Thanks everyone!
Please get a couple shots of the muzzle end from a couple angles.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Shoot me an e-mail and I can check the Post WWI Trophy Registry for Canada, see if it might be listed there. I found my Dewat one listed there and it told me when and where it was captured.

If it's the S/N 7000, it's not that far from the S/N on mine. Alas, mine is is similar (outdoor display for many years) condition with surface rust/pitting just like yours.

I was pondering 'completing' mine with 3D printed parts in an 'off' colour to allow people to see what it would have looked like, but without having to drop lots and lots of $$ on parts.

Mine was captured on the 2nd of September, 1918, by the 7th Battalion (Canadians) near a small town in France. On that same morning, during that same attack, when the 10th Battalion passed through the 7th Battalion (who led the initial attack), a soldier (Sgt Knight) won his Victoria Cross for Valour. (Commonwealth equivalent to the Congressional Medal of Honor.)

My gun was on the field that day, and was captured by those troops. Damn Cool. It's also mentioned as being one of "approximately 30 machine guns" captured that day by the 7th Battalion during that attack.

NS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts