1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve accumulating parts to make an adapter to mount a Vickers on a Bren tripod. I’d like to do something similar to the below pictures but have a specific design in mind using the fixture that fits around the water jacket from a Vickers Monopod Mount. BTW, the rag tag gun in the pic showing the monopod is not mine.

BrenVickers1.jpg BrenVickers2.jpg

I'm searching for someone with the equipment, skill, interest, and time to work with me. I believe this will involve some lathe work, milling, and welding. Please PM me if you are interested in the small adventure.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Sounds like an interesting project. I've got the time and the tools, but I'm also sure we would drive one another bug raving nuts trying to communicate cross country. Good luck on the search for someone in your own back yard. :help:

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
PM sent with recommendation.
CaptMax

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm back on track looking for someone to help me with this project. I had someone lined-up but it fell through largely because of my delays. Attached are two picture of what I need help doing. Please PM me if you can help.

Slide1.jpg Slide2.jpg

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
At one of the shoots in New England in the ninties, a Bren tripod with a Vikcers on it was on the line. The fittings were crude but fairly tight and I recall that the front attachment mount had been cut from the front of a Bren receiver and welded or attached to a plate that was hose clamped to the jacket. I don't remember what was on the rear but probably another Bren fitting take for rom a kit and used to make a bracket. Having the front point of attachment do the Vickers so far forward made any change in traverse very slight at the berm and shooting at about 150 yds meant that the gun could only be aimed to hit a small area. I didn't fire the gun, but the limited traverse seemed frustrating to the shooter.
If the range had been much longer, 500 yds and more, it seems the Bren tripod would be excellent for pinpoint hits. FWIW

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At one of the shoots in New England in the ninties, a Bren tripod with a Vikcers on it was on the line. The fittings were crude but fairly tight and I recall that the front attachment mount had been cut from the front of a Bren receiver and welded or attached to a plate that was hose clamped to the jacket. I don't remember what was on the rear but probably another Bren fitting take for rom a kit and used to make a bracket. Having the front point of attachment do the Vickers so far forward made any change in traverse very slight at the berm and shooting at about 150 yds meant that the gun could only be aimed to hit a small area. I didn't fire the gun, but the limited traverse seemed frustrating to the shooter.
If the range had been much longer, 500 yds and more, it seems the Bren tripod would be excellent for pinpoint hits. FWIW
Thanks for sharing the story/information. I'm hoping to adapt a band from a salvaged Vickers monopod in the front and use Bren gun tripod mounting brackets front and back. The key part to fabricate is the piece where the Vicker's elevating screw is normally attached to the gun. Your comment about the limit in the field of fire is probably very true and would seem to be a similar issue with a Bren.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
I can probably help but it will be a while since I am out of town working till late October and then have to make two adapters for Dolf (sorry he comes first) but let me know if you don't have any luck by then and I will do what I can. That is if Lucky13 doesn't kill me while I am out there helping him. Russ

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
>Thanks for sharing the story/information. I'm hoping to adapt a band from a salvaged Vickers monopod in the front and use Bren gun tripod mounting brackets front and back. The key part to fabricate is the piece where the Vicker's elevating screw is normally attached to the gun. Your comment about the limit in the field of fire is probably very true and would seem to be a similar issue with a Bren.<

Well, shooting Brens off the tripods is equally annoying, in my experience. The Bren, however, being an LMG, can immediately be brought to bear on its bipod. The Brits liked a variety of fixed line firing techniques and an artillery approach to their MMGs, such as the Vickers. The Bren would be useful in a fixed position on a tripod, briefly, uhder certain circumstances, but it's free mobility is its virtue
Seems Dunkirk was the end of the general issue of Bren tripods.
I like shooting long range with the Vickers and a Bren tripod would be excellent for that, but it is a light tripod, with a lot of joints that are loose which interferes with long range accuracy. Sandbagging the feet helps with keeping it true. It will be fun to play with.....

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
>Thanks for sharing the story/information. I'm hoping to adapt a band from a salvaged Vickers monopod in the front and use Bren gun tripod mounting brackets front and back. The key part to fabricate is the piece where the Vicker's elevating screw is normally attached to the gun. Your comment about the limit in the field of fire is probably very true and would seem to be a similar issue with a Bren.<

Well, shooting Brens off the tripods is equally annoying, in my experience. The Bren, however, being an LMG, can immediately be brought to bear on its bipod. The Brits liked a variety of fixed line firing techniques and an artillery approach to their MMGs, such as the Vickers. The Bren would be useful in a fixed position on a tripod, briefly, uhder certain circumstances, but it's free mobility is its virtue
Seems Dunkirk was the end of the general issue of Bren tripods.
I like shooting long range with the Vickers and a Bren tripod would be excellent for that, but it is a light tripod, with a lot of joints that are loose which interferes with long range accuracy. Sandbagging the feet helps with keeping it true. It will be fun to play with.....
Thanks. My goal is simple. I'm trying to limit the amount of "stuff" I have to "hump" at the range and reduce the chance of further hurting my SI joint.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Thanks. My goal is simple. I'm trying to limit the amount of "stuff" I have to "hump" at the range and reduce the chance of further hurting my SI joint.
That was exactly Dolf's intent, to be able to take various guns and only one tripod so he does not have to haul what he used to. Of course he has us by a year or two so it is comical to me he is only worried about it now that he is 88 lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts