1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The original post has been edited to to make things a bit more ambiguous.

Hypothetically,......IF you were going to be having a meeting with your Chief Law Enforcement Officer to inquire about his /her plans of action in case of natural disaster, grid down, rioting, looting, civil unrest scenarios, etc. what would you ask them?

What I am asking from you all are concerns or suggestions you can offer, just like it was your hometown.
I would like to have a list of bullet point questions just in case the opportunity ever presents itself.

There you go.. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Thanks
Andy

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Hopefully you have a community/county emergency manager who will handle water/food/shelter/health care/infrastructure repair issues for the general population, so let's stick with security:

- interlocal agreements with adjacent agencies specific to major disruption and what responsibilities and benefits those agreements contain?
- security perimeters and fall back positions along obvious points of entry into and around the general extent of the community?
- security training and equipment available or being considered for persons willing and able to act in emergency security positions?
- weapons and ammunition stores, both agency and voluntarily disclosed civilian stores, and how to access them?
- weapons repair personnel and facilities plans that may include inability to access normal methods of shipment of replacements parts from suppliers not within the security perimeter.
- interagency training, if any, within the local community infrastructure? (As an example, FEMA has excellent emergency response training for all levels of city/county government employees, most of it at low or no cost.)
- local adjudication and detention scenarios under the stress of major disruption that may include inability to access county, state or federal facilities for a period of time?
- hardened or dispersed communication facilities or other methods of maintaining communication with county, state or feds?
- availability of and training/supplies for paramedics/SWAT medics or similar personnel as first line of combat health care for on duty security personnel, both sworn and civilian?
- availability of safe sources of water, food and hygiene resources for same personnel, at least while on duty?
- availability of working patrol and combat vehicles along with fuel, lubricants, spare parts, mechanics and at least rudimentary repair facilities?

Yes, this is the kind of stuff that will keep you awake nights if you really start working out all the possibilities and comparing them to your present resources.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
+1 -- What he said, plus presentation, communication and coordination with the community as a whole.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
...first issue...

Local PD's and politico's have no concept of what we have been saying for years. My suggestion is to have them read Forchien's book...'One Second After'...about a NC community in an EMP (electro-magnetic pulse) strike on America with nukes from Iran and N. Korea. It details the scenerio that occurs...local and nationally. Second issue is personal prepardness. Even the FEMA folks say everyone should have 30-days supply of water,food,meds and...they don't mention firearms or ammo...the ability to 'shelter-in-place' for that 30-day period. If LE's are not able to take care of their own families...how are they able to help anyone else...? Think 'Katrina' in New Orleans. There will be no local support. There will be no National Guard. There will be no medical help. And it will be a national event...with no one coming to help....from anywhere.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. I have read "One Second After" and "One Year After". They were particularly interesting to me in the fact that I live a short distance...2hrs +/- from most of the places mentioned, and have been through there many times.
I suggested that he read "OSA" and he said he would. He offered a few book titles back, which seem to follow the same train of thought. I have not read them, but will be sure to do so.

I will have a greater understanding of his ideas and points of view after Wednesday.

He is former military and was actually part of the New Orleans post Katrina garrison. He said that he had seen first hand the effects of not being prepared, looting, roving gangs, and local breakdown of police, fire, rescue, etc.

Keep the ideas coming!

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Does the Red Cross have a unit in your area ? If so , how prepared are they ? Have they set up agreements with schools , city buildings , churches , etc. for them to become public shelters ? Do they have a storehouse of cots , bedding , blankets , towels , food , water ,etc. nearby ?
Do you have an LDS church in the area ? More than one ? How many Wards ? A cannery nearby ? An active Ward Emergency Prep Spec. called and set apart ?
What has the city done ? Food stocks ? Water storage ( lakes , ponds , towers , wells ) ? Water treatment extra stores like chemicals and filters and spare parts ?
City stores of fuel and oil for the emergency vehicles ? Generators at PDs , hospitals , etc. ? Fuel for them ? Portable generator power plants on trailers ? Buildings wired so they can pull up and plug right in ? Portable pumps and water tanks to set up places for people to draw from ? Have you set up agreements to get them on loan from construction companies , farms , cattle / hog farms / stables ? Do you have the means to sanitize them for drinking water ?
What about local freight hauling companies ? Agreements to use their trucks , trailers , forklifts ?
Any shortwave groups in your area ? Any old equipment your departments can give to volunteers to set up a communication system ?

Don't reinvent the wheel . Don't duplicate what's already available . Many hands make light work .

Chris

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
What if....

So far many well thought out questions. Mine is a bit different from those posted. What if:
It is day two of a president's term in office, with paper and pen in hand an executive order is written directing law enforcement to go door to door confiscating all firearms. How do you respond?

Think it cannot happen? Remember law enforcement actually did this after hurricane Katrina.

My plan: MAX out every charge card for more: ammo, food, supplies, good books, and even more chocolate. My sincere thanks to those that actually do the work to think through many of the scenario's involved in "what if".

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
So, Reb, if today just happened to be the day that said hypothetical meeting may or may not have taken place, how did the hypothetical conversation go? :shifty:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hypothetically, it went quite well. I was impressed that much of what was asked had a positive response, or had at least been considered. Those areas of concern where no action had been taken was a result of financial restraints from politicians or those that control the purse strings.
I think that there were a few questions that were posed that I think they were surprised were thought of.
Not sure how much detail I should go into on social media, but if such a meeting were to take place I would be extremely careful to ask more questions than to reveal anything. I would have been quite impressed with the answers and documentation shown.
I am not real sure what to think about the fact that they (in theory) handed me three CAT (Combat Application Tourniquets) and told me to keep them handy.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Hmm, that last line is definitely a hypothetical eye opener. Check you PM's, if there is such a thing as PM's, or not. . . :cool:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
So did you ask him your Last what if on Day two question and if so what was his answer?
Did he give an answer or change the subject

·
Registered
339 Posts
That is heck of a topic to discuss and I think is impossible to prepare for 100%.

I think that most are familiar with the expression "only two things certain in life, death and taxes." I think same could be said about natural disasters and government being prepared 100%, and I learned from history that during a natural disaster the government will fail miserably if they only rely on their allotted resources and do not enlist regular people in helping them.

Your local law enforcement budget has a limit, and that budget is not designed at all for natural disasters or worse, a full scale riot. Local governments are reflections of local society, they are tasked with certain things and their budget barely covers their task. I think that to be prepared for all emergencies is not realistic, and does not exist anywhere in America, including Federal level of government, as some have already pointed out, FEMA and hurricane Katrina.

To put it in a good comparative example. FEMA was budgeted on a Federal scale, which is the biggest disaster budget in America. FEMA failed miserably with all their money and resources to help out 1 city and surrounding suburbs, it was not the biggest city in America, and it was not even comparable to a statewide disaster. On the flip side, your local government body will have same outcome in the city you live in. Your local government will struggle with helping just one small area of the city, all of the available resources and money will be directed toward that area, and that will be the end of it.

I think that the best and most effective help that is offered to a disaster area, are regular people who volunteer to go to the area and help, they bring their own food and water and 4 wheel drive trucks and help out stranded people. Companies big and small also provide massive help to affected areas.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Late to the party but.....

Every city of any size *should* have an Emergency Response Plan written and distributed to city officials. You are entitled to a copy as a resident. When I was in the last couple of years of my AF Reserve assignment, I was tasked to a major city to help write or revise their plan. What to do in case of major storm, fire, war, riot, etc, where folks are to relocate to, what the city will need to provide its citizens and how to go about that, all kinds of things.

Currently I live in a small rural setting and I'm on the board of directors of a small water association. When I joined, one of the first things we did was write an Emergency Response Plan relating to water supply. What kinds of things could happen to our supply, what to do in case of sabotage, accident, drought, or whatever. It would be a very good idea for everyone on this forum to think in terms of a personal plan. Hint hint :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts