1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to this forum, so forgive me if I'm rehashing an old issue. I have two Saginaw Steering/General Motors M1919s with a different/unique pawl bracket installed. I am looking for two .308 left front guides to fit. So far, the most realistic option is to recut the front slots in the pawl bracket to fit the "standard" left front guide that is currently available from various vendors. I'd like to avoid doing that. Options that are off the table are 1) replacing the pawl brackets and 2) getting two front guides machined to fit. The photos should explain the issue pretty well. Any assistance would be appreciated.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
My, that belt holding pawl bracket is definitely an odd one. I suggest that the simplest thing to do is adopt the style used on some of the 8mm front spacers, where the lug for the pawl bracket is not present. Rather, it uses a tapped hole and a set screw to lock against the cylindrical right front stop. You could modify your existing 308 front spacer or make something from scratch. Image below is the 8mm spacer, borrowed from the Ammunition Store website. You need the thicker wall for 308 than this illustrates, but the concept should work for you.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I wonder what those funky feed pawl bracket cutouts were intended to mate to. Maybe a flexible feed shoot or cupola ammo can?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Sorry about that

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have what you need. Your kit appears to be an argentine a4.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I have what you need. Your kit appears to be an argentine a4.
That is effen cool! What is the correct back plate for an Argie 'A4? Does it use the same type of flip up/down safety as an Argie '28?

·
Premium Member
6,060 Posts
That is effen cool! What is the correct back plate for an Argie 'A4? Does it use the same type of flip up/down safety as an Argie '28?
Yes it does Dan it is a cast back plate but the checkering is quite a bit larger than USGI cast back plates but the safety is the same. I don't have a picture to post up but maybe one of the guys will chime in. Sorry I did not get here sooner but Greaser is right on with his answer. Russ

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Well dang, I still keep learning around here. Never have had a look at an Argentine A4 kit, though I've had a couple of the trunnions. Didn't know the BHP bracket front notch was different. Just when I think I know it all!!! :rofl: Thanks to greaser for edumuhcating me!

Toolman nailed it, thanks! Here is great back plate info for anyone curious: http://www.browningmgs.com/Backplates/Backplates.htm

And this, borrowed from Nosegunner's page linked above, is the Argy A4 back plate.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'll clarify, the front stop I have is not for 308, but is an original argentine stop.

I have a a full set of argentine a4 internals, original finish if you are interested in trading.

If you have a right front stop installed, there is an excellent aftermarket front stop made by rob here on the forum that you could adjust to fit any 308 you wish to shoot. I can't remember his handle here on the forum, but he advertises them as blank stops.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Looking at the purloined back plate picture above, I see it has a hole for a USGI type recoil rod. Is that original to the back plate? If so, that's strange because as we all know the '28 uses a captured recoil spring assembly with matching bolt. Why would the Argies use two different types of recoil spring and corresponding bolt assemblies in their Browning MGs? That sure would complicate their logistics and supply chains.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Their A4 uses a gi type rod.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
My impression is that the Argy A4s came about so much later than the 1928 contract guns, that they might well have copied the U.S. system. Though you make a good point, Dan, and it would have been just as easy for them to adopt the same system they made on their water cooled guns. Seems to me that would have made more sense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Need to Contact greaser

Would someone please contact greaser for me, and have him contact me at mark96ss at hotmail dot com? I need to talk to him about left front .308 guides for a couple of Argentine A4s. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts