1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I know this is a section for destructive devices as far as big guns go and I currently have built a rev war muzzleloader cannon which I know is legal. Question is how far forward can I go in time with breech loading set ups because I know they had them in the civil war as well as the Spanish American war but that's a little close in time. Thanks for any advice or help along with your time

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Barring post samples etc. I know you can't just build a machine gun from scratch anymore.

With the right paperwork, stamps and money, a person can build suppressors, shorten rifles and shotguns and such.

My question that pertains to this post;

Can a person submit plans and get a stamp to build a D.D. Breech loading modern-ish artillery piece?
Complete with self contained shells with actual primers using actual firing pin?

I know it works for mortars and cups.

Two hundred bucks ain't so much to have a real working gun. ( Well, I don't think so.)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Give it a try? DD is a DD, so you are just making a flare launcher shoot projectiles, or the paperwork equivalent. Try the online forms, I got email responses within about 8hrs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have several NFA items and I asked the ATF about "Making" and registering artillery, and they said it is a Form 1 same as when I made my Short Barreled Rifle(SBR).

For example: If you find a 37mm breach block with no barrel, it has no caliber so it can be purchased as any other non-NFA firearm. You could then file a Form 1 to make a DD out of that firearm. Once approved you could acquire a barrel or complete gun less the breach block and assemble them.

You can do the same with a mortar tube and cup. You can't have both, but you can have either (or neither) and file a Form 1. Once approved you can acquire and assemble the parts.

Obviously you should call the ATF NFA branch at 304-616-4500, or your own attorney, before relying on internet "experts", but I am pretty confident you will get the same answer.

-Ray

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
Like i said check with these guys http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/blackpowder-mortar-and-cannon-sponsored-by-seacoast-artillery/

A member recently asked exactly this same question and published the ATF Tech Branch letter answer he received not even redacting his name !! They also got a ruling from Tech Branch on Stokes type bowling ball mortars :cool: as being Legal with primitive ignition ,that letter is also there .

The guys on that forum are to cannons what we are here with the 1919 and it variants .
They know their subject Very well and are very much like we are here polite and very helpful .

You can own a 16" naval rifle with out a tax stamp because it is bag loaded ,external ignition Not fixed ammunition
loaded ,oh how i wish :rofl::rofl::rofl: ,1 ton projectile , up to 600# of powder :rofl::rofl: expensive as all git out but the :wow: factor Priceless !!!!! Now where do i store a Battle Ship tube and a mount for it ......:confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have several NFA items and I asked the ATF about "Making" and registering artillery, and they said it is a Form 1 same as when I made my Short Barreled Rifle(SBR).

For example: If you find a 37mm breach block with no barrel, it has no caliber so it can be purchased as any other non-NFA firearm. You could then file a Form 1 to make a DD out of that firearm. Once approved you could acquire a barrel or complete gun less the breach block and assemble them.

You can do the same with a mortar tube and cup. You can't have both, but you can have either (or neither) and file a Form 1. Once approved you can acquire and assemble the parts.

Obviously you should call the ATF NFA branch at 304-616-4500, or your own attorney, before relying on internet "experts", but I am pretty confident you will get the same answer.

-Ray
Thank you Ray for your wisdom lol. Unfortunately in the commie state of New York, you can not have either d.d. or sbr's. That being said I was looking at 37 mm anti tank gun set up but with instead of a firing pin and primer (which I'd love to do lol) take a 5" turned aluminum 37 mm case and friction prime it threw the breech lock. Just as long as the ammo isn't fixed meaning a primer preloaded in the shell I should be good with the design.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
Yes but i live inland 55 miles from the ocean and the nearest port is not deep enough i do not believe :rofl::rofl: we all have dreams that can Never be reality :( .

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Yes but i live inland 55 miles from the ocean and the nearest port is not deep enough i do not believe :rofl::rofl: we all have dreams that can Never be reality :( .
Just build a REALLY BIG swamp buggy. ;) :tongue:

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
Hummmmm .... Have to be as big as huge mining truck only more wheels Oh Oh two of them welded bed to bed ,twin engine ,push /pull it might be possible ........Gonna need a AWD off road crane for loading ........:D lets see range 23 miles +- i could reach 4 different counties :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::tongue:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you Ray for your wisdom lol. Unfortunately in the commie state of New York, you can not have either d.d. or sbr's. That being said I was looking at 37 mm anti tank gun set up but with instead of a firing pin and primer (which I'd love to do lol) take a 5" turned aluminum 37 mm case and friction prime it threw the breech lock. Just as long as the ammo isn't fixed meaning a primer preloaded in the shell I should be good with the design.
We have lots of cheap houses in Ohio. Time to move. ;-)

·
Registered
350 Posts
That being said I was looking at 37 mm anti tank gun set up but with instead of a firing pin and primer (which I'd love to do lol) take a 5" turned aluminum 37 mm case and friction prime it threw the breech lock. Just as long as the ammo isn't fixed meaning a primer preloaded in the shell I should be good with the design.
You'd want to chamber it so regular primed ammo wouldn't fit to avoid any 'readily convertible' frooferall like the convertible muzzleloader/modern rifles.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello I know this is a section for destructive devices as far as big guns go and I currently have built a rev war muzzleloader cannon which I know is legal. Question is how far forward can I go in time with breech loading set ups because I know they had them in the civil war as well as the Spanish American war but that's a little close in time. Thanks for any advice or help along with your time
Do a search online for Williams rapid fire gun. It was a confederate secret weapon. It was a 1 pdr with 1.57 inch bore rapid fire breach loader. As the loader dropped a self consuming paper round into the breach and primed it, the gunner rotated a lever forward that fired it. Supposedly a good crew could fire 65 shots a minute. Somebody on you tube has a video of one firing using only a gunner so it is not that fast. There is a picture in the older versions of Small Arms of the World.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do a search online for Williams rapid fire gun. It was a confederate secret weapon. It was a 1 pdr with 1.57 inch bore rapid fire breach loader. As the loader dropped a self consuming paper round into the breach and primed it, the gunner rotated a lever forward that fired it. Supposedly a good crew could fire 65 shots a minute. Somebody on you tube has a video of one firing using only a gunner so it is not that fast. There is a picture in the older versions of Small Arms of the World.
I did find that gun in my searches and they said I was awesome in till it warmed up and the pieces started to not fit correctly. But on the other hand 65 rounds a minute is nothing to be mad about for any reason

1 - 20 of 24 Posts