1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at the latest Firearms News and came across an ad from "Hunters Lodge Corporation". They are selling M1 rifle 8 round clips for a mere $18.00 each or two for $30.00. The picture shows one clip with ammo in it but I don't think you get the ammo. Is this a misprint or does anyone actually pay that much for a single 8 round clip now days? Are they that hard to find? If so I have some I might be willing to sell for a few dollars less.

· Premium Member
5,337 Posts
I can remember seeing cardboard barrels of M1 clips at gun shows .25 ea or 5 for $1

· Registered
1,933 Posts
I have had some on GB in lots of 10 for a while, at like $1.50 ea for 10 or so. They rarely sell. Biggest issue is guys wanting me to sort for maker codes at that price. I have a bunch stripped off ammo that is fed into the Brownings.

· Registered
3,716 Posts
I did business with them about 10 years ago. Bought a 'Nazi stamped Carcano'. Stamps were obvious fakes and the chamber was welded shut. (This was sold as a functioning, original rifle). I returned the rifle, they refused to accept it and the gun was never seen again.....

Nope. Unless they are giving away free money, Ill never do business with them again.

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes a friend of mine once bought a 50 gallon drum full of 8rd clips from SARCO. I don't recall what he paid for them or what it came to per clip but it was probably less than .10 cents each. I lucked out years ago as a full time employee of the National Guard. In the early 70s after the National guard had traded their M1s for M16A1s a supply sergeant from another unit who knew I was a gun collector asked if I wanted some M1 clips. The unit had been storing them for years and when they asked the ordnance people what to do with them told them toss them in the dumpster. I said sure I would take them. I didn't realize there were about 200 of them but of course I took them anyway.

· Registered
1,933 Posts
Yes a friend of mine once bought a 50 gallon drum full of 8rd clips from SARCO. I don't recall what he paid for them or what it came to per clip but it was probably less than .10 cents each. I lucked out years ago as a full time employee of the National Guard. In the early 70s after the National guard had traded their M1s for M16A1s a supply sergeant from another unit who knew I was a gun collector asked if I wanted some M1 clips. The unit had been storing them for years and when they asked the ordnance people what to do with them told them toss them in the dumpster. I said sure I would take them. I didn't realize there were about 200 of them but of course I took them anyway.
Only 200 ? We got three times that when the M3A1 Grease guns were phased out of armor and the ANG dumped the mags into the dumpster at Camp Ripley in MN . 30% were still in the silver moisture seal bags. They were even nice enough to leave them in the boxes , making carrying them a lot easier. Wish we would have found out when the spare parts were dumped.

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Only 200 ? We got three times that when the M3A1 Grease guns were phased out of armor and the ANG dumped the mags into the dumpster at Camp Ripley in MN . 30% were still in the silver moisture seal bags. They were even nice enough to leave them in the boxes , making carrying them a lot easier. Wish we would have found out when the spare parts were dumped.
A lot of stuff was dumped at Cp. Ripley. At one time I was out in the impact area of a Bazooka range and looked down in the dirt and picked up what turned out to be the rear part of a Thompson submachine gun receiver (made by Colt) . It was all twisted and bent. Looking around some more I found pieces of other TSGs. I mentioned that to a LTC in the HQ where I worked on summer annual training and he said "oh yes we wanted to keep those for the State Guard but the Army would have none of it and made us destroy them." They packed them with explosives and blew them up. At another time I was out in the burning pit dump and looked down and picked up a milled trigger guard for an M1903 Springfield. Looking further I found about a dozen of them. They had been burned along with the stocks but cleaned up nicely. I found that these were the remnants of over 2000 Springfield 03s that had been destroyed as state law forbid selling any guns that had been owned by the state to civilians.The rifles had been given to the state for use by the "home Guard" during WWII. Not everything I found got destroyed. At one time I found an intact M4A3E2 Sherman tank on an artillery range. That was one of only 254 made and that tank is now in front of the Museum at Camp Ripley.

· Registered
2,862 Posts
FYI. Back in the day (60's and 70s), there was a business called "Hunters Lodge" in Millvale, PA that sold mail order guns, do smithing, and build custom guns. Their work was a little pricey for the day but exceptional. They did some work for me on a nice GI bring back Luger that was not cleaned by the veteran after shooting corrosive ammo -- frosted might be the term. They hand lapped the barrel. When I got the pistol back from Millvale it was beautiful. Much to my regret, I later sold the gun.

· Registered
25 Posts
Old Soldier,
From a retired Jarhead, lived a few miles from Hunters Lodge. Back then Pittsburgh had a lot of great gun shops. Like real estate, "if only I'd have know and had the money...."

· Registered
2,862 Posts
Old Soldier,
From a retired Jarhead, lived a few miles from Hunters Lodge. Back then Pittsburgh had a lot of great gun shops. Like real estate, "if only I'd have know and had the money...."
I can relate. I assume from your handle you were Chief Warrant Officer 5, which is rather close to God in my book. Before the CWO5 rank existed, a Korean/Vietnam War veteran CWO4 mentored me as an infantry lieutenant when I got the thankless job of support platoon leader in 4/6 infantry in Berlin during the 1970s. Mr. Peabody could make **** happen that I never though possible. He saved my butt.

· Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I remember a company called Hunter's Lodge that use to advertise in the American Rifleman Magazine back in the 50's and 60's.
They always had a full page ad. I bought my first gun (a Remington Rolling Block .43 Cal) for $5.58 from them and followed up by buying two Russian M91 Mosin Nagants for $9.95 for one and $10.95 if you wanted two. I followed that up with two U.S .M1898 Krags for $15.95. They were not in bad shape but the rear sights were missing. I eventually bought a M1941 Johnson Rifle (I believe from them) for $59.95. But I believe that Hunter's Lodge was in Virginia as I recall and were a part of "Inter Arm co". But I could be wrong.

· Registered
51 Posts
This Hunters Lodge is not to be trusted. Bought a Colt detective special from them 20 yrs ago. Advertised as all original, good working order and from the Argentine National Police in the 30's. The gun I received was a 1950 model, out of time, with a paint finish. Called to tell them I was returning it and was told no refunds or replacement. Will never deal with them again. Even if they were giving out free money, I'd suspect it to be counterfeit.

· Registered
4 Posts
garand clips

It was Numrich that was selling clips in a 55 gal drum for $ 90. That was 1969 . I had purchased a Blue Sky Korean import Garand for $ 35 ( a week's pay) and couldn't find a clip for it.
The only problem was, shipping was twice the cost of the drum.

· Registered
2,159 Posts
Back in the early 60s the Army was training Cubans at Ft Jackson with M1 rifles, so there were a lot of clips in the property disposal yard. You could buy any steel for 5 cents a pound, be it Garand clips or 1919A4 parts. How many 1919A4 extractors in a pound??? :jedicrying::jedicrying::jedicrying:

By the way, CMP offers newly made clips from the original tooling in a 25 pack for $21.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.