1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this M1 from a guy down the street. He says it’s broke, I noticed the charging handle is off of its guide in the receiver. I don’t know much about the Garands but it came apart like a mini14 so I put the charging handle in the slot.
Now it seems fine. Is this a Garand problem or did someone just reassemble it wrong? Also aren’t there supposed to be marking etc on the back of the receiver? What the hell do I have here? 1AA686C0-13E4-4FBB-B940-9B2B75165822_1586899738038.jpg 757FAF53-233F-4E1A-8F01-E188577CDD98_1586899757936.jpg

·
5,467 Posts
If you have no manufactures name and serial number behind the rear sight you have an illegal weapon as it has no serial number!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
You probably need to do a little more inspection to determine what exactly you have. Personally I would not shoot it until you determine a little more info. Any number of possible scenarios, like reweld, home made, Fed Ordnance, Santa Fe gun, who knows. But yea, without a SN or factory information, it would appear to to be questionable. Does not mean cut it up or throw it in the river. Research and wait for more folks to chime in. You might want to take it apart and look it over carefully. Or just send it to me. I will take care of it. :)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
If it’s a century the markings could be on the side. Or they could have been scrubbed. Or it could be a Lithgow casting someone finished.

Yes have it checked by Someone who knows Garands.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Look at the front left of the receiver. I bet you have a Century Arms receiver. If your neighbor didn't know how to assemble the rifle, I doubt he knew how to properly shoot or maintain it. Read up on the gun (specifically M1 thumb). If you see Century markings, the gun is a shooter and has no collector value. A stated earlier, if there are NO markings...… run away. (But my money is on a CAI rebuild)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, front left up by the barrel CAI New York.
Ok so. What’s a shooter worth. I have no interest in keeping it. I’m not an M1 Garand guy.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Yep, front left up by the barrel CAI New York.
Ok so. What’s a shooter worth. I have no interest in keeping it. I’m not an M1 Garand guy.
Public opinion of Century M1 Garands runs from 'meh, it goes bang' to 'drop it in a lake, its worth more in parts'. Most run of the mill USGI M1's are now bringing 900-1000 bucks......but that one would fetch maybe 600 bucks at most. (Thats **IF** you can sell it...nobody who knows anything about Garands will buy it, your best hope is some young kid who just wants a gun may buy it) Throw it on GB, start it at what you paid for it and see if you get any bites.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Na, I disagree.

If its not a beltfed, its not worth messing with.
A Garand can be carried to the range in one hand, with ammo in the other.

Belt feds are not social distancing friendly.

Really, we all love belt feds. But sometimes they can be heavy and ungainly. In my next life I’m going to collect Lugers. One safe for all, you can pick up a half dozen at a time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts