1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an original USGI 3 piece stock set (with metal would be great) to replace a CMP stock set that I just received on a Garand. Please contact me if you have something. Original markings would be great. For a SA Garand.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Are you looking for a period correct stock. If so it would help to know the serial number range. Early Springfield stocks were marked "SA GHS" stocks for rifles in the 639,000 to 1,790,000 range were marked SA/EMcF"Somewhere around serial number 3,250,000 it changed to "SA GAW". These are just a few examples as there were others and post war stocks would have different markings than WWII stocks. For example overhauled rifles might have SA SHM, SA SPG or SA JLG. There are too many to list here.

I have owned a half dozen M1s and only one had a period correct stock and it came off of one of the other rifles. I also noticed while in the National Guard some rebuilt M1s had no markings at all. It does get confusing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have late 50's serial number. Doesn't have to be period correct but would like something more correct than a brand new CMP set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts