1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While firing today I had two stoppages out of 48 rds of American Eagle M1 3006. What I experienced twice was a round did not feed fully. The tip of the round was caught up on the outer lip of the chamber not allowing the bolt to go forward, almost a stove pipe. What causes this, is it because the OAL is not the same as M2 Ball ? Thank you.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It may be the stock. I recently replaced the GI stock with a brand new CMP stock although I did experience this once with the GI stock. I believe this problem is also known as the 11 o' clock stoppage ? I will switch back to the original GI stock and test fire. If not the problem then maybe the clip, but I checked the maker and none of my clips are SF marked, I heard that those ones are crap. I will also check the op rod catch, op rod spring, follower, follower arm, and follower rod.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
That's a good place to start. Check the things you just recently changed, and absolutely try a different clip. I've had issues with clips that drove me nuts in the past.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With this type of malfunction where should I start first/replacing parts ? What usually causes this to happen if not the stock or bad clips ?

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Don't get too far ahead of the problem - first things first.....check what was mentioned so far......;)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't get too far ahead of the problem - first things first.....check what was mentioned so far......;)
Good point, will do. From doing research (I may be wrong) It appears the problems are caused mostly by bad/worn followers, op rod springs and clips. I also found that clips marked AEC 3 have caused this malfunction along side SF marked ones. The 6 clips I used the other day when I encountered the issue two of them are marked AGE 1. Now these clips are made by the same guys that made the AEC 3 clips that have issues at times, they are Aggressive Engineering Corp of Anaheim CA. AEC 3 was a commercial contract and AGE 1 was a Military contract in the late 1980's. I wonder if Aggressive Corp Military contract ones inherited their civilian contract problems ? Only way to confirm is to get back to the range and pump rounds out of the M1. This time when the malfunction occurs I will take note of the clip.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took the rifle out today and took the new CMP stock off and placed the original USGI stock back on her. I fired 112 rounds of American Eagle M1 ammo through her and not one stoppage compared to the other day where I could not get through 40 rounds without two 11 o'clock stoppages. As far as the clips go I used the same ones and no issues. Maybe she is fixed ? Who knows, here is a small video from today. https://youtu.be/OpNZj6cXf64

·
Registered
31 Posts
Took the rifle out today and took the new CMP stock off and placed the original USGI stock back on her. I fired 112 rounds of American Eagle M1 ammo through her and not one stoppage compared to the other day where I could not get through 40 rounds without two 11 o'clock stoppages. As far as the clips go I used the same ones and no issues. Maybe she is fixed ? Who knows, here is a small video from today. https://youtu.be/OpNZj6cXf64
That sounds like an interference issue. If the stock and op rod are rubbing in any way shape or form, that will cause feeding issues. Without the spring in, the op rod should slide freely back and forth as the rifle is tilted up and down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts