1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just puchased a nice M122 Tripod that I planed on using with my DLO 1919A4 once it gets out of jail. I honestly know next to nothing about these tripods and picked it up on a whim, thinking it would be good to go for my 1919. Upon further inspection, it looks like the T&E is for an M60 unfortuantly. I'm wondering if this can be easily modified to work with my 1919? It is missing the pin and safety chain, so I would need a correct replacement for my 1919 and would be willing to purchase one from a forum member if they have any for sale.

The pintle looks almost new and has no part numbers on it, how would I tell if this is a USGI or a current reproduction?

I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
You have all you need saving the pin for the T&E. The pintle has a step rebate so pretty sure its GI. The T&E is good to go, does not have the M60 adapter, all you need is the pin. Had the same set up for years. M122 with Red River depot marks just like that. Have fun. j

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have all you need saving the pin for the T&E. The pintle has a step rebate so pretty sure its GI. The T&E is good to go, does not have the M60 adapter, all you need is the pin. Had the same set up for years. M122 with Red River depot marks just like that. Have fun. j
Thanks very much for the info. Excuse my ignorance, but is this the correct pin I need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262081957056?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

If not, do you by chance have a link for one that I could purchase?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
That pin is made by a member here on this board. Ironcreations, Jeff Prater. I don't know if there was a GI equivalent but the WWII type just had a ring with a ball detent attatched to the chain. Jeff may have those as well. BMG parts (Rick) has originals and reproductions also. Both are good guys and deserve your money. J

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
As has been said before on this site the M122 and components will work with the M1919A4. The tripod is virtually identical to the M2. The pintle less adapter is also. The T&E will work with the .30 cal gun but there are differences. The M122 T&E was designed for a pin that was held in on both ends with a "C" clip. It was not supposed to be removed in normal use as it held the M60 adapter. Therefore there is no chain with the pin and no way to attach the chain to the T&E. Also the M2 .30 cal T&E had a small slot built in to index the pin and keep it from turning.
The pin has a small raised tab to engage the slot. The M60 (M122) T&E lacks the slot. It can easily be added to the T&E or the tab removed from the pin. If not the pin will extend out a short distance from being all the way in and probably won't hurt anything anyway. I have used a 7/16 bolt long enough to go through the T&E and cut off the treaded part. Try to find an unplated one. I got one that was sort of gold colored but that appeared to be only a painted coat. With that stripped off I parkerized it. It works ok for me. You could even have a steel ring welded to the head of the bolt to make it easier to remove. I don't have access to a welder so I didn't.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info, I guess I'll see if I can source a GI pin and make the necessary modifications to make it fit.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I can see the keyway for the key on the pin you will eventually buy. You will not need to modify anything. Buy a pin stick it in the hole. Voila! J

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's a bit Mickey Moused (IMHO) but the T&E for mine was altered with a small hole drilled in it to take a cotter pin to hold the chain:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can see the keyway for the key on the pin you will eventually buy. You will not need to modify anything. Buy a pin stick it in the hole. Voila! J
Yep you're correct, I just took a closer look and the keyway is there, looks like i'm good. Thank you sir.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a bit Mickey Moused (IMHO) but the T&E for mine was altered with a small hole drilled in it to take a cotter pin to hold the chain:

Thanks for the picture. It seems like that's a good option if I want to utilize the safety chain.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Thanks very much for the info. Excuse my ignorance, but is this the correct pin I need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262081957056?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

If not, do you by chance have a link for one that I could purchase?

I have that exact pin. It works great. I'm using it on my M122 tripod and with three different T&E mechanisms and it works fine on all of them. The "retractable" ball detent (by way of the push button at the handle end) is great.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have that exact pin. It works great. I'm using it on my M122 tripod and with three different T&E mechanisms and it works fine on all of them. The "retractable" ball detent (by way of the push button at the handle end) is great.
Thank you, Sir! I just bought one, we'll see how it works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts