1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
This is a heartbreaking tragedy. I heard the news just a couple of hours before this post. I thank embalmer for starting this, and for the fine picture. I didn't know Steve Preston well, but I had the pleasure of talking with him several times in the past few years, mostly at the Albany machine gun shoots each May. I have seen him bring the Hellcat out twice, and fire a round or two of blanks down range, a major highlight of the events. Steve would always have time for a warm conversation. He was a kind and humble man. I am more than a bit in shock, and I can't imagine what went wrong, as he has fired that gun so many times with perfect safety. My prayers out to his family, and the many friends he had in the MV community, particularly here in Oregon. Godspeed, Steve Preston.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I've heard from other places that it was a hangfire. Round didn't go off, and the breach was opened, and then it went. At this point, who knows.

Prayers for Mr Preston and his family, as well as Mr. Lee and his family.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,395 Posts
I heard about this yesterday :( no specifics but i hesitated to link it because i knew someone here would know the owner Very :bawling: Sad event ....

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I was fortunate to meet him once at the Albany shoot. My son got to fire the fifty from the turret. Last shoot I made it to, he'd fired maybe two rounds then the firing pin broke. That was a couple, few years back. Awesome machine, and a damn nice fellow to talk to. I even got into a conversation about how he cast, turned the slugs and reloaded them. Dried milk for calf feed over smokeless would have been my very last guess! :)
That was where a lot of the flash and POOF came from when firing. Great for display, low velocity round.
When I heard on the radio I was hoping it wasn't that particular person and vehicle, but I think I kinda knew already. What a horrible thing to happen.

Didn't even think about a hang fire. My head went right to a failed breech ring. Maybe even broken off riflings dropping loose into bore causing obstruction. It can happen. Thinking back, the slugs were awfully short. Wonder about possible a round getting cocked in the chamber/barrel area.
My condolences to his family and friends. :(

·
Registered
735 Posts
Dried milk for calf feed over smokeless would have been my very last guess! :)
That was where a lot of the flash and POOF came from when firing. Great for display, low velocity round.
I've seen videos of the gun firing and it seemed to work pretty well. Was he actually using calf feed for propellant? That's the way I read your statement. It would work, I imagine, but it would be my last guess as well.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Think grain elevator explosion when comparing this. Cream of Wheat, non dairy milk powder, etc. burns like a ***** when aerated. Just take a lighter, turn it on, and pour a packet of creamer over the flame. Wear gloves and keep your face away! 1/4 lb of flour over 8 Oz. of cannon grade black powder really makes a flash. j

·
Registered
735 Posts
Think grain elevator explosion when comparing this. Cream of Wheat, non dairy milk powder, etc. burns like a ***** when aerated. Just take a lighter, turn it on, and pour a packet of creamer over the flame. Wear gloves and keep your face away! 1/4 lb of flour over 8 Oz. of cannon grade black powder really makes a flash. j
Right, I totally know the idea, I just never thought of scaling it up to fire a gun. Very interesting.

·
Registered
508 Posts
You don't fire the gun with it by itself. You need to mix it with a gun powder. It just adds flash and smoke to the round for show.

All most any dust will burn. I have watched steel dust burn.

Steve

·
BeltFed GURU
4,395 Posts
It is the FAE (Fuel Air Explosive ) effect ,the ratio of fuel to air reaches the right point and it does not burn it Detonates :eek::eek: The MOAB test at Tyndall AFB was 20,000 lbs. of fuel dispersed and then ignited :wow: it was total destruction in a 1.5 mile dia. can you say Hiroshima ? No fallout !!

When working as a propellant one slip in burn speed of the fuel and its critical air ratio which differs from fuel to fuel and it is no longer a propellant :(........The power and pressure spike of one is Extreme over a far greater distance than HE because of it`s Volume of Detonation ,little cube VS Magnitude of order larger Volume detonating which has more effect ?

If he was loading "Cremora" based rounds as has been posted here he had it fine tuned to the max and was Very close to the perfect conditions for Detonation .......... it may have been humidity not anything he did .....

This is all Very Sad :(

Be Very Careful if you ride this Beast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Yes, he was loading dehy milk product direct from a large feed bag from a feed store.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Just found out about Steve today. Wow! what a shocker! He was a very nice guy and really easy to talk to. He will be missed. Prayers to both families.

I have also heard it was a hang fire second hand but not confirmed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts