1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This piece may be the proverbial needle in a hay stack but I have to start some where. Looking for a Russian Maxim M1910 condensing hose connector.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
A cast brass "wingnut" style fitting with a steel hose ferrule was imported by IMA in some quantity which came from Finland and were marked with the SA in a box for the Finn army. The water cans and steam port fittings that came to the USA were made by the Finns for use with their captured Russian 1910s.
The port fittings screwed onto the threaded steam port boss, and a hose can be attached to the steel ferrule.
Although I've tried to find some, so far no 1910 steamport hose fittings of Russian origin have appeared in the US, although from talking with Russian collectors, they were made of both step and brass. Also, in the various manuals that I have for the 1910s, which vary somewhat one from the next depending on vintage, there are no pictures of steamport fittings, cans, hoses, etc. Oddly, many of the drawings of the guns in the manuals don't even include the port on the front end of the jackets.
Another unattainable accessory for the 1910s is the booster covers. Never seen one over here and they are very scarce overseas. Repros might become available according to a friend in the Ukraine.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The 1910 booster covers that have come into the USA from overseas are dug relics, which don't have any value to me personally. I've had several opportunities to buy one or two of these, but the condition puts me off.
Waiting on quality repros, which are allegedly in the works.
Repro hose fittings would be a hit, too........

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
The 1910 booster covers that have come into the USA from overseas are dug relics, which don't have any value to me personally. I've had several opportunities to buy one or two of these, but the condition puts me off.
Waiting on quality repros, which are allegedly in the works.
Repro hose fittings would be a hit, too........
I have had much better results with better condition ground dug over repro parts. Europeans are making repro parts for display. Any real activity or use and they are not holding up or working 100%. Ground dug are a lot more work to get pretty but function much better assuming they are not frozen up.

In these cases, a few coats of thicker primer then sanding and then paint (They were painted black anyway) and I think you will do much better than any repro. At least for parts that are painted or can be painted, I like better ground dug.

I don't know if I will every get my 1910 loader with repro parts working... Already had to weld up the repro handle in one spot and broke it off at another... Looked great but when actually used...

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
No arguement from me that some repro parts can be pretty poor, and I have seen my share. However,
the repro 1910 parts that I have bought from a machinist in the Ukraine are first rate and exact replicas, copied from original examples owned by the maker. He seems to be really invested in making the 1910 parts, and it appears that he is also an MG enthusiast. He has said he would make some covers, and if he does they will be 99%, expertly crafted copies.
I have nothing against dug relics, but they just don't appeal to me for use with my guns. I can wait and if some genuine decent condition examples of something come along I will buy them if I can. I can make some stuff, but don't have time really to do a lot of things such as that. Having a source for high quality repro 1910 parts is a Godsend.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts