1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed two types, one with a round knob on the end and one with a T-shaped handle.

Are both Russian or is one Finnish?

If both Russian is the round type an earlier version?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
>I have noticed two types, one with a round knob on the end and one with a T-shaped handle.

If both Russian is the round type an earlier version?<

It appears to me that the pins with the round knob with textured edge are Finnish made for the Finn made Maxim that are all from the interwar period. Among a dozen or so Finn made traverse locks that I have, most have the pins and all are round knob types. The remaining are missing the pins. There are some variations in the way the texturing is done on the edges such as straight across , angled cuts and knurling. All I have seen are very highly finished and bright blued.
The "T" handle versions which are on a large majority of the Russian 1910 kits I've seen have two basic styles: moveable, sliding handle with knobs at each end, and variations on this style such as rounded edge knobs, flat sided knobs, single waist below handle, double waist below handle, longer and shorter handles, fixed knobs, loose knobs, flat, or rounded ends of the pin shank by the handle, etc. Rear pin assembles on early and WWI guns were well crafted and refined and blued and then increasingly wide variations in quality and finish in the inter-war and wartime guns.
Another style, which seems less common, is the fixed "T" handle and so far I have encountered a couple different styles of these such as shorter and longer fixed handle, single and double waists, round or flat pin shank end by the "T", etc.
No doubt there are more variations of these apparent basic types of handles.
Then there are differences at the other end of the pins where the spring loaded retainer is fitted, but that is hyper detail stuff. All I can think of with out dragging out stuff from storage. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
>I have noticed two types, one with a round knob on the end and one with a T-shaped handle.

If both Russian is the round type an earlier version?<

It appears to me that the pins with the round knob knurled edge are Finnish made for the Finn made Maxims. Among a dozen or so Finn made traverse locks that I have, most have the pins and all are round knob types. The remaining are missing the pins.
The "T" handle versions which are on a large majority of the kits I've seen, have two basic styles: moveable, sliding handle with knobs at each end, and variations on this style such as rounded edge knobs, flat sided knobs, single waist below handle, double waist below handle, etc.
Another style, which seems less common, is the fixed "T" handle and so far I have encountered a couple different styles of these such as shorter and longer fixed handle, single and double waists, etc.
No doubt there are more variations of these apparent basic types of handlers.
Then there are differences at the other end of the pins where the spring loaded retainer is fitted, but that is hyper detail stuff. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the information, it is helpful. Needless to say it is the hyper detail stuff I am interested in. :) Any idea which type is Russian?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
>Any idea which type is Russian?<

Well, as I noted right at the beginning, I believe the round knob type are Finnish made and were made for their domestic manufactured Maxim guns but I have no idea when this style pin was first used with the Finn made guns, manufacture of which started around 1928.
The "T" style handles are on the vast majority of 1910 kits that came into the US and are most certainly Russian, and it is possible the Finns might have made some, too, but I don't have any more info than that from observation and experrience with lots of kits. Bolotin's book on Russian small arms has pics of various Maxims as do some other publications which are sources of more info on details.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
>Any idea which type is Russian?<

Well, as I noted right at the beginning, I believe the round knob type are Finnish made and were made for their domestic manufactured Maxim guns but I have no idea when this style pin was first used with the Finn made guns, manufacture of which started around 1928.
The "T" style handles are on the vast majority of 1910 kits that came into the US and are most certainly Russian, and it is possible the Finns might have made some, too, but I don't have any more info than that from observation and experrience with lots of kits. Bolotin's book on Russian small arms has pics of various Maxims as do some other publications which are sources of more info on details.
Thanks again, I have at least a month or so before the paperwork clears to sort it out. Time for me to start digging through wartime photos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts