1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone send me detailed pics of the rear sight assy of a M1917 or 1928 Water cooled MG?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Go to the old forum, there are several posts close to the end that had some. I am not sure what you are up to, unless you got a pile of parts already it is going to be VERY PRICEY to assemble one from vendors. I got most of the parts other than the rear site ladder, milled one out but most trophy shops will not engrave steel so I might make a brass one latter and paint it. If you are patient a very fine member of our forum is planning on reproducing some units later this year. I don't know how much he will charge but I am betting its way below any other way your going to get one. Start saving the Egg money and make the old lady take in laundry! Hotchkiss

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no way I could afford a whole set-up, I want to try and fabricate one myself. I'm saving my money for a 1917 tripod.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
Thanks Hotchkiss, my friend. The pressure is building what with all the water cooled interest out there right now. I guess I had better get this more out in the open.

I am going to be producing the 1917A1, M2 Ball rear sight. I do not want to say too much at present and I cannot quote a price. I know there are one or two others who are looking to do the same thing. I have the leaf worked out, am gathering the funding for the project and I am definitely going ahead. These will not be inexpensive, but they will be equal to or better quality than original production. Ther are other components that must be made as well and I am on top of that. Also, I cannot give an exact time frame, but I hope to have these available before the summer is out. Can't promise that but I am trying!

Those who have seen my A6 Bipod Rests can testify to the detail I will go to so that the product is right and accurate. That was a simple piece, but the attention to detail is going to be the same. That's all I can say for now.

-Rollin

·
Registered
346 Posts
What ever you do Rollin, I'm sure will be at the top of the game. Just from the little time I've known you ,I'm sure it will be the best it can be. Looking forward to the final product.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, Larry. We need to get that No Cal-So Cal shoot going in the middle of the state someday !!

-Rollin

·
Registered
154 Posts
arctic2 said:
What ever you do Rollin, I'm sure will be at the top of the game. Just from the little time I've known you ,I'm sure it will be the best it can be. Looking forward to the final product.

AMEN to that!
With Rollin's meticulous attention for detail, I'd expect nothing but the best!

Rollin..Great, this just makes me think that much more about diving into a 17A1 build! :eek: (Straight Jacket "ON") :D Can't wait to see your creation! :cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be looking forward to one your sights, in the meantime, can anyone take some detailed pics so I can fashion a mockup for my gun till the sights are released?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had posted these on the old board right before it switched to the new format here.

This is a the sight from a 1917. It is slightly different then the 1917A1 sight. Hope it helps.

If anyone is interested I can repost the pictures of the entire gun.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice pic, post all you rpics again. I spend 30 mins searching the old site for pics and didnt find tghis one, so post them again please.

·
Registered
112 Posts

The sight leaf on the left is for a 1917A1 using M1 ball.

The on on the right is for an early 50 cal.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
Sorry for the poor quality, but here is a pic of the M2 leaf, which I will be reproducing. The M1 leaf is possible too but I need an example to take the measurements off of.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
You know the tragedy of all this...somewhere in some government warehouse there's probably 500, 8'x8'x8' crates filled with 1917 rear sights, but they're labeled as Spam :).

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
loboslanding said:
You know the tragedy of all this...somewhere in some government warehouse there's probably 500, 8'x8'x8' crates filled with 1917 rear sights, but they're labeled as Spam :).
LOL! Probably true. On the other hand, these were available from a couple of the surplus dealers years ago. All gone now. At the time, only the FA guys would have been aware of this stuff. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Your absolutely right, several years back Mr. Bob Landies of Ohio Ordnance Works had that very box filled with in the wrap new 1917A1 sight ladders. I bought a complete set up for my Kulspruta M36. I have been fortunate through this wonderful board (Thank you Mark Kohagura) I located an original 8mm M36 top cover, being polished and blued by Phil Filing of Glenrock Blue 307-436-2330 as we speak.

Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts