1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1919a4 with a M1923 flash hider attached as shown on M1919tech.com at the bottom of the flash hider page. It says on the page, "RIA produced experimental flash hiders for the .30 caliber air cooled BMG’s during WWII including an attempt to adopt the M1923 flash hider to the M1919A4."

Did they simply screw in a flash hider to the booster or were there other modifications made to the unit? Was it bored out larger? Has anyone ever come across the prints for the prototypes?

Steamer

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Your talking about this one ?

http://m1919tech.com/pic 3.jpg

Some reason I can no longer post pics?

Jeff @ Iron creations is mentioned as having the original....Super nice guy...Give Him a call.

So its the beer can to Booster thing...I've got both halves and been waiting for instructions.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Can you post pics of what you have? You mentiin you have one set up already? It was an experimental unit they abandoned because of a combination of fouling quickly and being very difficult to clean properly. As well as manufacturing complexity compared to performance. In other words the cone shaped flash hiders worked adequately and were easier to make. If you do not have one and are actually looking to make one from a 1923 I would caution against modifying a 1923 considering they seem to be running in the $150 zonecwith some people asking crazy money for them above that.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
WOW!!! $150 for a 1923 if I remember right I paid 24.95 for mine from Sarco. That was a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I have a 1919a4 with a M1923 flash hider attached as shown on M1919tech.com at the bottom of the flash hider page. It says on the page, "RIA produced experimental flash hiders for the .30 caliber air cooled BMG’s during WWII including an attempt to adopt the M1923 flash hider to the M1919A4."

Did they simply screw in a flash hider to the booster or were there other modifications made to the unit? Was it bored out larger? Has anyone ever come across the prints for the prototypes?

Steamer
For the M1919A4 they bored out the muzzle plug (or orifice in the 1 piece style) threaded it and the M1923 flash hider was screwed into the threaded opening. The M23 has wrench flats on the back that will likely fit one or more cutouts in the M6 wrench (combo wrench). For the M1917A1 you remove the muzzle gland and screw in an adaptor and screw on the flash hider.

Gatekeeper has spent some time looking, so far no dice. If its there she'll find it. I have never seen a more dedicated researcher.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KKKRiverrats has it down. That is exactly what I have and it is easy to make up. It didn't change my M1923 at all. I "bored out the muzzle plug (or orifice in the 1 piece style) threaded it and the M1923 flash hider was screwed into the threaded opening". It is threaded 24 threads per inch for those who want to make one. It can be made on the lathe in one setup. It does take some time to get it dialed in but it was easy.
It looks exactly like the one on 1919tech. Ya the m1923 was 95.00 plus 16.00 shipping on ebay. Still some left, and a good seller.

The bore is smaller than .800 so would that make the gun cycle faster?

Steamer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts