1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo - I decided a few weeks back that I would dig out my old 2nd generation Springfield scope mount and reinstall it on my Springfield M1A. No particular reason but it does have a national match barrel and sights so it's worthy of a scope. After removing the charging guide, installing the mounting block in its place and cleaning the threads on the screws and block I remembered why I pulled the mount off to begin with - when the mounting block is in place you can't remove the bolt from the frame. That just doesn't make sense to me with a military firearm. It came back to me why I pulled it off to begin with. Any of you guys have practical experience with the 2nd generation M1A scope mounts? Just wondering.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I no longer have the M1As, but I still have the mount & scope & box.

From a practical standpoint, why remove the bolt? The obvious answer is cleaning, but really, how often does it need to be cleaned? People do more damage cleaning firearms than they do shooting them.

If there is a problem, and the bolt needs to be removed, the mount is easily removed. Call me stupid, but I don't see a real problem.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes - the mount can be easily removed but the mounting block also needs to be removed which requires knocking the roll pin out and tapping it out of the receiver. Not a big deal if you're at a bench with tools but hard to do in the field. That's all I'm saying.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I have never noticed if the rear mounting block interfered with bolt removal. It does not appear to interfere any more than the cartridge guide would but I seldom remove the bolt. Removing the bolt would involve removing the scope and removing the scope could screw up the zero. I don't remember ever removing the bolt to clean the M1A as I normally just clean the bore and gas cylinder parts. I do recall having a problem removing the bolt with the scope removed but that was a problem with the operating rod not the scope mount. With an M1 I would not hesitate to remove the bolt as a part of normal cleaning as I have to remove the op rod to clean the piston anyway.

I have noticed that some rear blocks have a curve to them maybe to clear the bolt. Mine does not and is a GI scope and mount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts