1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well.. After years of Debate and buying up damn near every other gun I finally took the plunge and bought a Springfield Loaded M1A w/ all the Loaded fixins.

I'm not a benchrest shooter, I shoot from standing,crouching,prone,kneeling all unsupported from 100 to 1,000 yards .

What Mags are you folks getting the best results out of Most important. Function???

Nice investment for a Rifle that just doesnt seem to ever go down in Value.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi slugcatcher I have A national match with all the the good stuff I use the factory 10 an have 6- 20's factory pre pans.I don't know how good the aftermarket is. Factory 20's -30's I am looking threw the cheper then dirt catalog right now and it read's Springfield OEM 20ROUND PARKERIZED $11.97 or 30ROUND PARKERIZED $11.97 I DONT KNOW how good they are but that sounds good to me.www.cheaperthandirt.com vcjr:)

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
M1A mags

USGI (new, in the wrap) or factory mags ONLY!!

I can't emphasize enough how many crap M14/M1A mags there are out there. Most are left over from the Clinton years, but some folks are still making cheap pressed-tin knockoffs that will not fuction reliably, if at all.

If you buy USGI, make sure they are new and in the original wrap. That way you know exactly what you are getting. The M1A is a great weapon. You spent thousands to get it. Cheap mags make it into a very complicated single-shot rifle.

Don't even get me started on Cheaper Than Dirt. . .

·
Registered
104 Posts
M1A ( M14 ) 30 rd mags

Aren't ALL the 30 rounders aftermarket ? If not, who has them for sale and how are they identified ?

Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm with most of the other guys. USGI mags are the best. There are other foreign contract mags out there (Taiwan type 57) but have had no experience with them, but I have heard good things

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congrats on your new rifle. I bought a NM last year, and love it.You spent a lot of money for your rifle, why consider using anything except USGI? They can be had in excellent used condition for about $30. You now own one of the finest battle rifles in the world, don't go inferior with the mags.

·
LEGENDARY BULLY!
6,488 Posts
I have USGI mags that I got from Armalite, and some T57's from Ammoman that I got last year. On the M14 Forums there is an in depth study on mags,, I found that the T57 mags that I have compare well to most USGI. They don't have the same welds but I have fed over a thousand rds thru three T57 mags with no ftf. They are compairable in wall thickness too. Ammoman just got a new shipment in last week,, got five more on the way,,$79 delivered.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
57Strat said:
Here's an article about everything you ever wanted to know about M14 mags

The Lowdown on M14/M1A Magazines

http://www.fulton-armory.com/M14Mags.htm
I would disagree with Rawels on the statement that all M-14 magazines made for after market sale (USA) are no good. I personally own and use several M-14 magazines produced by USA in 30 round configuration. I have used these magazines for several years in my M-14 E2 FA and have never experienced a failure to feed at any time.

Hagar

·
Registered
773 Posts
I use USGI and the Taiwanese mag's. They both work fine in my super Match. The only bad thing I have heard about the Taiwanese mags is that some time they have to be "messaged" to get them to lock in properly. I personally have not had that probem w/ any of mine. They are blued, though - not parked. I still prefer the park'd USGI mags just out out of GP (Cole's has them). Article in Small Arms Reveiw mentioned the folks that make the Beta MAg are going to start making Beta Mag's for the M-14 for the Gov't. I have to have one of those...

·
Registered
270 Posts
new toys

thanks slug catcher.........I will be looking for my new toy...!!!!!!:D I have waited a long time!:D :D :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
USGI mags

I've tried plenty of aftermarket mags for the M1A having owned one of the rifles for at least 27 years. If it's not a USGI Mag I wouldn't have it for free. I once shot a bear at 5' with my M1A, not a good time to find out you have a feed problem. I choose dependability over price every time. I sold several of the $20 aftermarket mags at the last gun show for 2 for $10 and was glad to get that for them. My only concern was to get out of the show before the guy brought them back. Cheapest USGI I've ever found was at a gun show for [email protected] in the wrappers. Bought all of them. I have seen them for as much as [email protected] Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts