1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have finally decided to take that plunge and purchase a semi belt fed 50 bmg. I have done some research on different companies currently building these and gained a little more knowledge on basic function...etc. Ive decided to go with a CWA build given the fact I know a few people who have them and they seem to really enjoy their rifles. My question is given the obvious cosmetic / barrel difference is their really a difference in function between the M2 and the M3? Does one shoot any better then the other?
Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
M2hb

I have a M3 kit, but have all the parts to make it a M3HB. Ed at CWA will build mine as soon as I can afford to send it to him. Thanks, Jerod

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
For a semi auto, there would not be any difference at all.

I suppose you could say M3 would be a bit more durable for full auto. But there ain't nobody going to run one hard enough to matter.

Karl

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
weight, portability.... but ROF is the big difference.

if you go with a m2HB kit.... vs a M3AC kit? huge difference in ROF.

if you take a M3AC (like mine in the avatar) & put an ACME crank on it? you can get 1,000+ rpm out of a semi auto.

you cant even get that out of a M2HB in Full Auto.

barrels were also cheaper for the M3 vs the M2

BUT theres "MA DUECE" & then theres everything else in 50's..

what you really need to consider (whether Ed builds the gun or not) is what your really wanting from it.

do you want the world reknowned historical gun? if so.. go M2HB

do you want the blazing speed in 50bmg? if so... go M3AC

i LOVED my m3AC with the crank & you could just roll them out there & chew up a boulder in SECONDS!! thats why we went with that set up.

but if its just a display piece (shoot it very little) & you are gonna show off? build the m2HB & have the show piece.

either way enjoy it & SHOOT IT! :D

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
The M3 can be configured as an M2 so it looks like an M2HB and they run fine in the M2HB configuration :cool: Yes with a crank it runs at about the same ROF of the M2 but i can switch to AC config in about 1/2 hour and get it up to 1000 RPM with a crank !! My CWA M3 build has been flawless from the start ,the fit and finish is Flawless !!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
I know Hathcock used an M2, but wouldn't an M3 be more accurate with the longer barrel support?

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
Shorter barrel only 36" on an AC ,yes the bearings are father apart but 9 5/8" (45 5/8" M2HB )more barrel = higher velocity on an M2HB ,along with a new barrel bearing and support and the heavy barrel profile and weight makes it inherently more accurate and more prone to return to a 0:0 battery position .

Buddy Clifton using a cut rifled SS barrel with O rings in the trunnion bearing and barrel support with grease between both double O ring sets in the bearings did some amazing shooting at Aberdeen Proving grounds put 20 shots on a 20' x 20' sheet at 3800 yards causing a bunch of Generals to drop their jaws in disbelief accurized yes but it proves with carefully selected components they can be amazingly accurate !!!

Carlos`s Nam shot was not a freak forgotten was his Beirut shot 3 days before the barracks were blown at just under a mile and a half . Same set up technique to the target on 8th floor Thu a concrete block wall he was ducking behind ,one Tango Down !!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ed built my M2HB after one of my several deployments to Iraq. Personally, I went with the M2HB because that was the weapon I used for the last 26 years before I retired in October, and spent in depth teaching using that configuration for Master Gunner School. Over 100 years old and it remains virtually unchanged and still in active service. The M3AC looks great, but I don't have an airplane...

Good luck with your selection! Any configuration you choose with be a winning build and will function flawlessly out of the crate because Ed is the premier builder IMO...

Very respectfully,
Buck

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I'm assuming you're talking about a semi M2 vs. a semi M3 converted with M2 features.

In that case, they are functionally equivalent. The difference I see is in resale prices; all-M2 guns are harder to find/make, while an M3->M2 gun can be had any time.

Either way, you already made the big and right decision with CWA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts