1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an original 1943 dated M2 tripod and T&E (I think). I dont think it was ever loaned out (to Israel anyway) as it is missing the holes in the feet for the pegs, when used in sand if I remember right. Anyway, it has alot of olive drab #7 green paint still on it. From what I've gathered WWII production tripods were painted this color and later on, just parkerized. The date and other data is on the head, behind the pintle ring, NOT on the front leg bracket on a seperate brass dataplate. So were most WWII M2's painted OD green during the war? I wasnt 100% sure, but this is what I was told and I thought I would get some more info seeing as how I'm new to actually owning a 1919A4.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
M2 Tripod color

I asked this same question on another posting by Slick (M2 Tripod "X-outs"). I didn't get any answer either. Apparently nobody knows for sure. I would also like to know what exact shade of OD was used. More modern (1950 and later) OD was more of a green shade. WWII was more on the brown side I believe, at least in the early part of the war. As I understand it there was some question even during the war as to the exact shade with a great variance being tolerated by the military.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Every new tripod I have seen has always been parkerized. However I have only see new tripods from the 1960's and later.

I would have doubts that tripods were delivered with paint, but you never know.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I agree Bill. I joined the Guard in 1964 and all of our tripods were parked. Even the M2's with brass plates (which were very few, although the last one I saw was in about 2002) I'm sure if we attempted to paint them the ordnance people would have given us hell but it is possible that during WWII especially in the south Pacific it would have been desireable to paint them (over the park finish) and this may have been done in the field. This brings up the question, are the painted ones bare steel under the paint or parkerized? If they were never parkerized or blued, then paint probably was the original finish. I think the M1717A1 tripods were usually painted, at least on the legs but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking that the WWII ones were painted OD and that all the parked originals probably wnet thru arsenal re-finish/re-fitting psot war and thats where they picked up the parkerizing. Sorta like the Thompson, all were blued then later parked if they went thru a re-finish at the arsenal later in the war/post war. The M1943 Entrenching tool was painted OD (including the blade) and the shade of paint on many of those that I own matches the shade of paint on my M2. Also, from looking at the wear on the tripod and the lack of any israeli hallmarks, i'm thinking it has certianly seen some heavy use in the OD green; moreso than anyone wanting to take good care of it would put to it. I'll have to check out Canfield's "Infantry Weapons of WWII" when i get home and see if it mentions paint on the M2.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Okay my .02 cents

Guys I had gotten my tripod from Coles Distributing it was an early early m2 tripod that looks like it went through at least three rebuilds... two state side and one over sea's on the Izzy side... The original set of feet were removed new ones welded on at this point they reparked the tripod. After that point they painted the legs and tripod head a bright orange this was not standard paint it was laquer paint (International Orange Same stuff on San Fran Bridge) for protection of the steel. They then painted the tripod WWII od green like your guys. After WWII it went through a Rebuild at RRAD in 67 and was reissued as a M122 sum btch's X'ed out the info where the front tripod leg enters the head. They then again repainted it a shade off of the WWII od green again. She then went to Izzy land where again they coated her in OD green again and drilled the feet... Now I know that duracoat makes a WWII od green paint it looks close to what I had to strip off layer by layer. I was surprised after I removed the first coat when I found the RRAD rebuild stamp before I could only see AMC...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts