1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fair amount of this stuff. All headstamped TW5, surplus, not reloads. I believe it might have more value to collectors than as blasting ammo. Any ideas as to the actual value?
Writing implement Office supplies Ammunition Wood Bullet
Writing implement Office supplies Wood Cone Tints and shades
Hand Finger Thumb Circle Button

·
12,607 Posts
With the high volume of api bullets (as they were the absolute cheapest for a very long time) being turned in to reman ammo, the incinidiary only aren’t really that much better. It’s blasting ammo.

ap and ball command a bithigher than others because of range acceptance. And some of the weird ones are valuable (slap/raufuss) but blast away at something hard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With all due respect, are you confusing the M23 incendiary with the much more common M1 incendiary? The M23 uses a 512gr projectile at approximately 3400 fps, and almost three times the incendiary mixture (90gr versus 35gr in the M1). I believe it was developed to better ignite jet fuels.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
It is only worth what folks will pay for it. I have several cans of it sitting here (150/can)- TW headstamp, but I don't remember the date. It was 50s issue, and came from the local Arsenal ( Twin Cities) The issue is where you can shoot it, and only a few big MG shoots allow tracer and incendiary. AP and fire danger issues. We only have one local club here that allows it, and that is only because no one has caught the range on fire lately. (no Tracer) there is just not enough interest in "collecting" it to really drive the price up. Ball demands the highest prices since it can be fired at most ranges that allow 50. AP penetrates - we have berms at one range that the 50 AP is going through and hitting stuff on the other side.

If you have a place to safely shoot it, I would shoot it, and you can certainly try to get $100/rd, but given everything above and shipping cost, you will probably be in the $2-3 / rd. the fired brass may be worth $1 ea.... the 50s brass is great for reloading.

·
12,607 Posts
And I know what it is, but the reasons are the same. Same as what mg08 listed above as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the info, gentlemen. If it had collector value, I'd rather it go to collectors for the history.

Shooting it is no problem for me. There are no rules at the ranges, and I have a million acres of public land that's covered in snow half of the year - no fire danger in the winter.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I appreciate the info, gentlemen. If it had collector value, I'd rather it go to collectors for the history.

Shooting it is no problem for me. There are no rules at the ranges, and I have a million acres of public land that's covered in snow half of the year - no fire danger in the winter.
you know, you would think that with snow, fire would not be an issue - but I have caught several ranges on fire with snow on the ground firing 7.62 and 50 cal tracer - particularly at 100yd or less - the rounds bounce out of the berms and end up in the detritus of paper and grass etc under trees, or brush. We caution people about it even in the winter here in MN

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you know, you would think that with snow, fire would not be an issue - but I have caught several ranges on fire with snow on the ground firing 7.62 and 50 cal tracer - particularly at 100yd or less - the rounds bounce out of the berms and end up in the detritus of paper and grass etc under trees, or brush. We caution people about it even in the winter here in MN
Yep, I understand the possibility still exists, and the need to be watchful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Swamper

it is not really collectors ammo. i would just shoot and have fun, or trade it for something else you could use. i think they are worth more than a $1 though.

PS: i shoot after a rain, in over 50 yrs i have never set the woods on fire. ( just sayn )

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Swamper

it is not really collectors ammo. i would just shoot and have fun, or trade it for something else you could use. i think they are worth more than a $1 though.

PS: i shoot after a rain, in over 50 yrs i have never set the woods on fire. ( just sayn )
If you are referring to my posted $1 price above it was for the FIRED brass, not live ammo- the older MIL brass is much beefier than the new stuff. I have some 50s WRA and TW with 5 or 6 reloads on it . as data on ammo- there has been New LC ball/tracer mix on links for sale for under $250/100 shipped in the last year. I don't remember who it was but I seem to remember $2.35/rd with free shipping- Seal wired wood crates of 200 rds in cans - I got a pile of crates since as we all know "buy cheap, stack deep"

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Believe you'se guy's are incorrect. Those are RAUFOSS rounds with the white and green tip. They are an armor piercing round with RDX explosive in them. They go thru stuff...like brick walls...and explode like a grenade on the other side. They are hard to find and expensive. Saw a few at KC last weekend...$70-$85..and have seen the WW 86 rounds go for over [email protected] My advise is to save them or sell them. I've kept a few for any serious work that may present itself....shortly.

·
12,607 Posts
If Len is correct, then the rest of our comments are less accurate. I was referring to inciniary only.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm confident that this is NOT mk211 raufoss. I've checked a couple different sources that confirm that it is M23 'super incendiary'. When I have time, I'll dig some out, pull it down, and weigh the projectile.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Believe you'se guy's are incorrect. Those are RAUFOSS rounds with the white and green tip. They are an armor piercing round with RDX explosive in them. They go thru stuff...like brick walls...and explode like a grenade on the other side. They are hard to find and expensive. Saw a few at KC last weekend...$70-$85..and have seen the WW 86 rounds go for over [email protected] My advise is to save them or sell them. I've kept a few for any serious work that may present itself....shortly.
I'm glad a more seasoned member said that. I am also glad OP member clarified(much respect). Mk211 should have more rounded profile/ less tapper. I hope someone else can explain the tip paint.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts