1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have the mount and it is mounted. I found repo corner braces at Midwest. They come with out any holes being drilled. I know 2 one the front and 2 on the sides, Can somebody who has some give me the spacing on the 4 holes on each brace, or photos where I can be close.

Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I checked with John, and he is using his repos, and is not sure of the correct holes spacing.

SOMEBODY is bound to have a original mount, that can give me the correct measurements, or a couple of photos where I can drill mine correctly.....

Come on guys..... help a fellow out......

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked out all the books and manuals I have and could not find anything on it. John said he "just drilled them".

Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is John's corner pieces. Very well made.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more question......

Were the holes in the corner braces drilled for 5/16 bolts, or 3/8 bolts? I have to drill mine, and after working on this truck as much as I have most bolts in it are 5/16.

Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agree on the fine thread. I am just amazed at how many of the bolts used are 5/16.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can't help with the locations of the holes but can with the screw sizes. I pulled my original ORD 9 on the M24A1 mount and it listed the following sizes of screws appropriate to these brackets....

The 4 screws mounted to the sides of the truck bed (2 per corner bracket) are 3/8-24 X 7/8 hex head cap screws with steel safety nuts. Didn't look up the definitions but assume the nuts are the old slit type lock nuts.

The 4 screws attaching the corner braces to the upper cross member of the pedestal assembly are 1/2-13 X 1 1/4 fl-hd screws, also with steel safety nuts. I assume flat head screws and they appear to mount from the front to the rear with the nut on the bed side. Does your mount cross piece have countersunk 1/2" holes that would indicate this? If the holes are present in the cross piece, at least the hole locations on that side of the corner brackets should be obvious. Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
213 Posts
M-24A1 Mount

I'm going to see my WC-51 on Sunday 6-26 . I'll take pictures and measurements for you if you can wait that long ?
Dan

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to see my WC-51 on Sunday 6-26 . I'll take pictures and measurements for you if you can wait that long ?
Dan
I'll wait, it's too hot, and I'm too old to worry about....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't help with the locations of the holes but can with the screw sizes. I pulled my original ORD 9 on the M24A1 mount and it listed the following sizes of screws appropriate to these brackets....

The 4 screws mounted to the sides of the truck bed (2 per corner bracket) are 3/8-24 X 7/8 hex head cap screws with steel safety nuts. Didn't look up the definitions but assume the nuts are the old slit type lock nuts.

The 4 screws attaching the corner braces to the upper cross member of the pedestal assembly are 1/2-13 X 1 1/4 fl-hd screws, also with steel safety nuts. I assume flat head screws and they appear to mount from the front to the rear with the nut on the bed side. Does your mount cross piece have countersunk 1/2" holes that would indicate this? If the holes are present in the cross piece, at least the hole locations on that side of the corner brackets should be obvious. Hope that helps a bit.
Funny thing, a guy posted a photo on the WW2 Dodge forum of a original M24a2 mount and the corner pieces used 5 screws on each piece. Three on the side, and 2 on the front. Here's the photo, lower right.....

Also here is a photo from the same forum, of a original corner piece mounted wrong, the long side goes down the bed, the short side to the front of the truck. This is a metal bed, and you can see the hole in the side of the bed for the 3rd screw.

Mine is a early M24a1, and is a repo, so can't really go by what it has on it.....

·
Registered
213 Posts
M24 A1 mount corners

I was able to snap some pics before the camera battery died. I didn't have a tape measure so hopefully these can answer your questions,
DanG

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, Looks like 2 3/8, and 3 5/16 on the side. The heads look like 2 different sizes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts