1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this awhile ago from a reputable dealer, it has never fired full auto, it fires one round. the barrel will not seat in the receiver and just ratchets. I was hoping someone might have a quick idea before I send to Desert Ord.

Thank you, I hope they find a cure for the Corona as I have "all" the problems that will kill me so I can't be around anyone until they find a solution!
I am very mad at people that think it is a joke since they are less likely to die from it. I hope they don't end up infecting their grandma or parent.

Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
F/a m2

Forgive me but I'm trying to figure out exactly your problem from your post it would appear that you tried to fire it without the barrel engage correctly.
If it in fact truly fired one round like that and you and the gun are still in one piece your lucky.

I would strongly recommend you invest in a TM manual for your M2. as well as a headspace and timing gauge.
doesn't really matter if it's a semi or a post sample F/A you've got a chunk of change wrapped up in it .
If its a transferable M2 you really stand to loose a lot of money if your not up on the workings of the gun.

Please understand that, that thing can kill and seriously injure not only you but those around you if it is not head spaced or timed correctly.

I'm hesitant to tell you how to get the barrel to screw in.
Also if it is a true F/A gun it can also be set to fire as a s/A gun which is probably what it set to now.
Please find a manual and study it.
Respectfully
GW

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I purchased this awhile ago from a reputable dealer, it has never fired full auto, it fires one round. the barrel will not seat in the receiver and just ratchets. I was hoping someone might have a quick idea before I send to Desert Ord.

Thank you, I hope they find a cure for the Corona as I have "all" the problems that will kill me so I can't be around anyone until they find a solution!
I am very mad at people that think it is a joke since they are less likely to die from it. I hope they don't end up infecting their grandma or parent.

Sorry for the rant.
Sounds like it is kaput, send it immediately to Desert Ordnance so you don't hurt yourself. An improperly working .50 cal gun is far more dangerous than even the Corona virus.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yeah, not to pile on, but you have a 15-20 thousand dollar gun not much smaller than ARTILLERY and don't seem to have the resources/understanding to handle it properly. PLEASE take the great advice hereabouts. These are not plug and play guns that you can buy on Monday and shoot on Sat. They are old, rebuilt and temper mental, and as pointed out, can KILL you.

Stay safe, stay informed and ask for help. The board is the best for that kind of thing.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,303 Posts
I can not disagree with previous posters But barrel ratchets in battery (lock up )sounds like a Barrel lock spring issue ,you need the ground version Barrel Lock Spring with tit on receiver Right Side Plate (RSP) type spring https://www.sarcoinc.com/50-cal-spring-barrel-lock-ground-7266134/
Some times an aircraft barrel lock spring (for an M3 ) gets installed and will allow the in battery barrel ratcheting on an M2HB ......
The tit gets worn down and we had one dial the barrel while firing out 63 clicks before to Blew Up ,took out the top cover and both side plates !! It was a C&R gun but our friend at Ed at CWA http://www.dragonm50.com/ straighten the C&R RSP plate,LSP and rebuilt the gun to GI Issue New condition !! He Saved a piece of history no one else would touch !! :D
No one is better than Ed but Desert Ordnance has a good reputation too !!

A 30 will try to Hurt you ,a 50 Will try to Kill You !!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgive me but I'm trying to figure out exactly your problem from your post it would appear that you tried to fire it without the barrel engage correctly.
If it in fact truly fired one round like that and you and the gun are still in one piece your lucky.

I would strongly recommend you invest in a TM manual for your M2. as well as a headspace and timing gauge.
doesn't really matter if it's a semi or a post sample F/A you've got a chunk of change wrapped up in it .
If its a transferable M2 you really stand to loose a lot of money if your not up on the workings of the gun.

Please understand that, that thing can kill and seriously injure not only you but those around you if it is not head spaced or timed correctly.

I'm hesitant to tell you how to get the barrel to screw in.
Also if it is a true F/A gun it can also be set to fire as a s/A gun which is probably what it set to now.
Please find a manual and study it.
Respectfully
GW
Thanks for all the reply's, no it would not fully cycle when it was first assembled with the correct hd space and all then cleaned and took it back out and then it would not stop ratcheting. I have read the manual and the assorted videos but there is no troubleshooting lol anything, I think we are all naive about things even when we are trained to do something and you should always be smart enough to ask when you know you don't have an answer before doing it.
Thanks,

·
Registered
849 Posts
Unsure what you mean by ratcheting? Can you turn the barrel without manipulating the barrel lock spring. If so, get the correct lock spring. Regardless, if properly headspaced and timed, it should take more than 1round for this to happen. Is the gun short stroking, not attempting to feed, etc.?

·
BeltFed GURU
4,303 Posts
Crippler,
No insult intended not knowing your background experience .
Back in the early years 2000 we had so many with Zero experience building semi`s it was imperative to teach them ya don`t phque with Ma Duce !!
I "coined" A 30 will try to Hurt you a 50 will try to Kill you !!
I have 41 years of experience with the Grand Lady and sniping with 50 BMG ............
I used to distribute the M3 and 95 revision M2 manual on CD now it is online and others added to my original edition
http://gryphos.com/M2HB_CD_Gen_III.zip
Link seems to still work Download it and unzip it and read .
I posted this in another thread https://1919a4.com/showthread.php?102661-M2hb-bolt-issues/page2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can not disagree with previous posters But barrel ratchets in battery (lock up )sounds like a Barrel lock spring issue ,you need the ground version Barrel Lock Spring with tit on receiver Right Side Plate (RSP) type spring https://www.sarcoinc.com/50-cal-spring-barrel-lock-ground-7266134/
Some times an aircraft barrel lock spring (for an M3 ) gets installed and will allow the in battery barrel ratcheting on an M2HB ......
The tit gets worn down and we had one dial the barrel while firing out 63 clicks before to Blew Up ,took out the top cover and both side plates !! It was a C&R gun but our friend at Ed at CWA http://www.dragonm50.com/ straighten the C&R RSP plate,LSP and rebuilt the gun to GI Issue New condition !! He Saved a piece of history no one else would touch !! :D
No one is better than Ed but Desert Ordnance has a good reputation too !!

A 30 will try to Hurt you ,a 50 Will try to Kill You !!!

Thank you so much for that download!!!!!!! It is what I have been looking for.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Lots of folks here who can help- but as noted above this is a gun that requires Knowledge and experience to not get injured. Keep in mind that the 50 BMG rd is the equivalent of a hand grenade. If you can post some pics of the parts you are describing? Where are you located ? There may be some one close by who can help you gain experience. I teach the M2 on occasion but I would not consider building one on my own, even though I have built 25 or so 1919/1917 guns. There a lot of gurus here on this board. If you can send me or post you email, I have other tutorials that might be of some help too.

Regards,

Brian

·
BeltFed GURU
4,303 Posts
Crippler,
I highly suggest you read this thread https://1919a4.com/showthread.php?47528-When-bad-things-happen-to-good-Soldiers-Why-your-M2-M3HB-WILL-KILL-YOU&highlight=things+happen

It happens more often than you think !!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: it illustrates just how bloody Dangerous Ma Duce is ,the pictures are no longer there because Buck was active duty at the time and training Troops when it happened !! It is always my recommendation that level 3A body armor with a steel plate or SAPI be worn when shooting her !! I know quite a number of non mil owners who built a free standing "Chicken " Plate of AR500 steel for shooting off an M3 pod with it between them and the gun for just the reason of what happened in the thread !!! She Will Try to Kill You at some point !!!

I speak from 16 years of duty and a total of 41 years of experience with Her and 1 of the first in 50 BMG rifle use in AM/AP role ...........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts