1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to have my M3HB built in the spring, but want to find out how to mount it. I do not want to spend a lot on money like on a M3 or a M63 mount. I can weld aluminum and steel so I figure I could make one, but need to figure out what to start with, as I will need a pintel socket for the M2 pintel to go into to, was also thinking about the yoke style also. I hear at Knob Creek you can get different ones. I was thinking about a M63 style, but have the legs be able to fold up and then when down I can lock them in. Thanks, Jerod

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
You may want to consider whether you want to actually hit what you shoot at - even a semi 50 has "recoil" issues. Decide if you want to sit, stand or lay down. The FA guns have a lot of recoil. Semis are not as bad because there is not repeated recoil impulse.

I shoot M2 /M3 professionally ( as in I get paid to shoot them) for a company that builds mounts for the govt, and Spec OPS types in particular. My experience has been:
original tripod is very steady, and the gun very accurate off of it but need to be sand bagged or the mount "walks" or digs in
M63 holds the gun, was designed to shoot up, not across. unless you own the ammo plant, you cant hit **** off it (FA) with out long bursts and walking the rounds in
Most pedestal mounts allow the gun ( free) to move to much under recoil and the rounds will climb off target unless bolted to something solid like a ship or a tank.
"homemade" mounts are unstable unless heavily sandbagged.
the gun creates "torque" with a moment arm equal to the length or height of the pedestal. this allows the recoil impulse to deflect the gun and cradle from the line of aim. in shorter terms the gun moves.

Story time :
We had a series of tests to run to evaluate shot dispersion as a part of a contract for buffered "lockable" mounts. ( this was a sort of dumb criteria apparently thought up by a govt beancounter) The contract called for 5 and 10 shot bursts to maintain a certain shot dispersion. We were firing at 100 yds. so they bring out an up armored HUMVEE and we mount the gun and mount in the cupola. First 10 shot burst, and the rounds walked right up and off the target - only 4 rounds hit the 4 ft x 4ft target (at 100 yds !!) Seems the buffering was Stacking ( not recovering between shots) and then the entire truck would move . So we tried a large steel test frame 4 ft x 6 ft made from 4x4 box section steel, with a pintle post added to incorporate the mount. Placed in the back of a 1 ton Dodge Pickup. Same problem only worse - could not get more than 3 rds on target- the rest over or off the berm . We even started a small fire from tracers in the stream. solution was to take the steel frame, bolt it to the 8x16 ft concrete pad, and then test - got the results we needed. Buffering needed work, lockable mount worked ok, but it was eye opening for the engineers to see the effect of the recoil impulse.

Now these were burst tests, not can I hold it on to the target, and for a specific mount for a specific application. but the point is the recoil of the gun has a lot of recoil. photo is of an M3 type test gun for an offshore contract in a special mount for helicopter use. Guess where ?

Tree Tree Vehicle Plant Vehicle Landscape State park

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Well done reply, MG08. I learned a lot from that! And that's a nice, Colt's slotted barrel support on the piece you pictured. Certainly not a common thing to see on an M3 based gun. Could use a re park on that beauty, lol!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tripod

Thanks that was helpful. I was thinking I could weld up a tripod with a 6-8 pintle socket, and make something I could stand up and shoot, without having to buy a $1500 M3 tripod. Thanks, Jerod

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Jerod,

Another thought would be checking with Jeff at Iron Creations. He makes a sturdy M3 repro that is far less expensive than an original. Might not fit your needs on budget, but you should take a look at his product. Shows built to order, so check with Jeff on this if interested.

Well, just looked and noted that he has these now made from current USGI contract parts, not his old new made stuff. Either way, a good value.
http://shop.ironcreationsllc.com/product.sc?productId=406&categoryId=78

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tripod

That is a little better, next year, but for a few shots I will weld up one that goes into my trailer hitch on my truck. Cannot get the gun and not shoot it for a year. Thanks, Jerod

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Jerrod - if you are looking for a budget mount, go look on the military vehicle forums - We use a demilled M151 Jeep pedestal bolted to a base - this has the large pintle socket for cradles, or can be adapted down with a HUMVEE pintle to a small tripod type pintle. We had to weld them back together, but since it did not have to fit a jeep, we just made them straight and square. The pedestal has two brace legs, and is good to stand behind. You will still have the same issues with recoil and the M2, but can use it for 1919s etc too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts