1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I took my .50 out today for another trial run. Last time (first time) I took it out I was experiencing short stroking, almost ejecting the spent cartridge and sometimes it would eject but would not cycle another shell into battery.
I drilled the back of the buffer (M3 Buffer) I think it was around a 3/32" drill bit don't remember exactly now.
The hole seemed to improve function a little but still not working.
Do I need a larger vent hole ?
I will try to get some pics this evening when I break it down for cleaning.
I also used an ample amount of 30 weight motor oil for lube.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Also if there is someone in the DFW area who knows about these things I have a place to shoot if they could come help get mine running.

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
...ammo...?

Might also check your .50 ammo. Some of the reloads sold are lighter loaded for bolt-action rifles. G.I. ball (670-700 gr) is loaded with 230gr. of W860,per US Army munitions TM 43-0001-27. My FA M2HB was a bit sluggish with 215gr loads,but works fine with 220gr. If using US GI or Izzy GI...should work fine. Also...after dis-assembly...l'd lube internals and operate w/o the spades and recoil rod/spring. Should be able to do so w/o a lot of resistance. If it is rubbing anywhere...look for that spot and file/stone it. Check the locking cam (bottom-plate),as it should be a bit loose...just like a 1919. Do it the 'scientific' way...one-piece-at-a-time.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Hello All,

I took my .50 out today for another trial run. Last time (first time) I took it out I was experiencing short stroking, almost ejecting the spent cartridge and sometimes it would eject but would not cycle another shell into battery.
I drilled the back of the buffer (M3 Buffer) I think it was around a 3/32" drill bit don't remember exactly now.
The hole seemed to improve function a little but still not working.
Do I need a larger vent hole ?
I will try to get some pics this evening when I break it down for cleaning.
I also used an ample amount of 30 weight motor oil for lube.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Also if there is someone in the DFW area who knows about these things I have a place to shoot if they could come help get mine running.
Im assuming this is a full auto gun? Make sure you check your timing. Ive had guns before that despite the timing gauge being used correctly, needed an additional click or two on the timing wheel to get them to cycle correctly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep ammo will be my next change to make that seems to make the most sense at this point.
The only resistance when operating the bolt is the cocking arm as it goes by the cocking bracket ? It seems this would be normal ?
Locking cam is loose not sloppy just a little movement.
I plan to pick up some ammo today will post results.
One place it could be is the side charging handle bracket wedge bolt it feels like it may be protruding into the receiver ever so little but does not seem to be interfering or rubbing on the internals. I will file and hone it to make sure as well.

Thanks for the help
Buckman

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im assuming this is a full auto gun? Make sure you check your timing. Ive had guns before that despite the timing gauge being used correctly, needed an additional click or two on the timing wheel to get them to cycle correctly.
No it is a semi with KMP side plate and trigger.
So I dont think timing is an issue.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I would second the ammunition - try some real GI ball. I have a FA gun, and over the years have had several small lots of reloads and some Talon that was, lets just say under powered. I know the guns works, so when it would short stroke- it was real obviously the ammo. I would tear down a round or two, and sure enough - load would be 210 -215 gr of whatever the powder was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts