1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for asking a lot of questiosns, but is it possible to mount a m3 gun (.50 BMG) on a m2 (.30 cal) tripod with a modified pintle? Has anyone tried doing this and shooting? Is it stable? I assume the T&E device would not work, of course.

Thanks!

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
I don't know anyone who has tried it, but I think the general consensus will be that the M2 pod will be overwhelmed and unstable for Ma Deuce.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Shoot, you have to stabilize the M3 tripod. Sandbags help. jam the legs in.

I went to an MK93 shockmount. Expensive, but tamed the beast.

Karl

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
+1 on the M3 pod being the minimum mount for an M2HB - and I do mean minimum. Mine dug itself out from under a substantial pile of sandbags after only a couple of bursts. The natural laws of physics are not on your side.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
In case you are not convinced yet, I'll add one more "don't even waste your time" to the answers. Besides that, it borders on dangerous.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
The best reason not to try is the fact there seems to be no evidence of American soldiers giving this a whack. Surely after all these years our grunts had these same impure thoughts after carrying an M3 tripod around. J

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Sorry for asking a lot of questiosns, but is it possible to mount a m3 gun (.50 BMG) on a m2 (.30 cal) tripod with a modified pintle? Has anyone tried doing this and shooting? Is it stable? I assume the T&E device would not work, of course.

Thanks!
Actually the pintle is the same for the .50 caliber and .30 caliber. It is listed in one manual as Pintle Tripod mount .30 caliber and in the .50 caliber manual as Pintle Tripod mount .50 caliber but both manuals list it as Federal stock number 1005-555-9332. You can't use the T&E interchangeably as they won't work due to the difference in the slot for the traverse bar. You could probably use the M2 tripod for the the M2 .50 caliber if you only shoot one round per day. I think even sitting without being fired the M2 tripod would barely hold the load. As was said the M3 tripod was barely good enough for the M2 gun and had to be anchored down with sand bags that barely did the job. I think the gun was supposed to be used more on a vehicle mount anyway.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
M2 pintle has only one lock groove in the shank ,the M3 pintle is longer shank,same taper but has 2 lock grooves in it .An M3 pintle will fit in an M2 pod without issue and lock but an M2 pintle will not lock into an M3 pod because the shank is too short . Either will fit both a 1919 or 50 cal and use the same cross bolt ,it is why the 1919 has pintle pads on the gun box and a 50 does not .

As for M3 pod "lift" on firing it all depends on how high you set the pod up and have the rear legs extended out , set low with rear legs out at full extension and it does only a little "lift" but this is not a comfortable position for most , set high and oh yes you gonna need a pile of sandbags to manage the "lift" .

Thanks to a Gift from Frazer42 of an M3 pintle ,i am going to cut up one i got from Rich/TOS because i need to widen it so my 1 Lb. ball , 1.730" bore ,36" barrel ,BP 1/3 scale French 75 cannon with drop on to the M3 pod and use the T&E too . Now it has a built in recoil mechanism but i will be running the pod in a low position and we will see if i need to bag it down . You want to talk about an Evil snake in the grass 400 Gr. FG BP behind a 1 Lb. 1.687" ball or worse a canister shot MUW HA HA HA HA hahahahahahahaha

Oh and it is lanyard fired using a #10 cap ,musket cap or a .22 ram set blank to fire it ,so you can set it up and be yards away to fire it and no smoking fuse to give away it`s position until fired :eek: :eek: It will give away it`s position then :rofl: but not mine lethal distraction :tongue::tongue::tongue: !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well damn, Belt Fed Frog, sound like you're putting together one hell of a rig. Be sure to post video of that sucker going off once you get it functioning!

So does anyone have the plans for the lookalike mk93 soft mount that you used to be able to download online? I found the link on google but it appears to be long dead.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Well I'll go out on the proverbial limb and say yes it can be done. MANY years ago when I was young and poor I had several M2s but no funds for an M3 tripod. Heck M3 tripods were pretty hard to even find in the 60s. I fired several M2s on M2 tripods, and while it did jump around a bit, it did work. I don't recommend it, but it can be done. Lots of sandbags help a whole lot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts