1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this from my uncle he is not sure if it came back with my grandpa from WW2 or my uncle from Vietnam. I have done some research online but can't find out a lot about the figured there may be someone here that can add a litt to the knowledge I have. It is a USMC imperial marked with the flaming bomb arsenal proof. I believe these were short lived like 44-46? Cool thing is never been sharpened. Thanks in advance!

Also looking for a sheath I believe M6, M8, m8a1 would all be correct?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I got this from my uncle he is not sure if it came back with my grandpa from WW2 or my uncle from Vietnam. I have done some research online but can't find out a lot about the figured there may be someone here that can add a litt to the knowledge I have. It is a USMC imperial marked with the flaming bomb arsenal proof. I believe these were short lived like 44-46? Cool thing is never been sharpened. Thanks in advance!

Also looking for a sheath I believe M6, M8, m8a1 would all be correct? View attachment 107225 View attachment 107226

Also looking for a sheath I believe M6, M8, m8a1 would all be correct? View attachment 107225 View attachment 107226
The bible of books on U.S. fighting knives is "U.S. Military Knives book III, M.H. Cole. A very similar blade is shown on page 68 made by Imperial Pro. R.I.. There is a statement "Probably not a issue knife but could have been assembled from parts left over from a govt. contract." The picture shows a blade with the forward curve on the guard. The top of the blade was not sharpened. It looks like the scabbard for these was leather. The book may be rare as I see my copy was signed by the author in 1979. However the book goes on to show a similar knife known as the M3 trench knife developed in 1943. knifes with forward curve on the guard were made by Aerial, Camillus, Case, PAL, Utica, R.C Co, and Kinfolksinc and some had no markings. Some had a bent guard and some were straight. There were 2,590,240 of these knives purchased during 1943 and 1944. the original scabbards were leather followed by the M8 and later M8A1 plastic scabbard. "Today the M3 trench knife is scarce.:

·
Shoutbox Messer Upper
2,308 Posts
I can't add any info but I can share pics of mine, it's never been sharpened,, This one is made by Kinfolks

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts