1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Not easily, but don't lose hope! The M37 charge handle is too short to work properly with a 1919, as the bolt stud to which the handle connects is not in the same location on the bolt itself. There are two other options, however, and that would be the 1919A5 or 1919A4E1 charging handle system. Each of these has its own distinct set of mount/guides for the handle, and are not interchangeable. The one thing to be mindful of is that the length of the bar may not work well with your spades. Would have to double check to see how much clearance you have to work with there. But if that proves to not be a problem, I have components for both systems in stock. The E1 version, like the M37, has the handle portion protruding to the left, behind the receiver. The A5 bar curves down, and the handle projects to the right. You will have to decide which works best for you. For images and more info, go to www.m1919tech.com and look at the links for both the 1919A5 and 1919A4E1.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A5

I would think that the A5 may have a better chance of working, thank you for introducing me to these variants and goods.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Glad to help. Let me know if I can help out with the hardware.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think this would work?

Still considering setting my 1919A4 up as a 1919A5 with spade grips. Saw this "slip on" spade grip assembly on gunbroker (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=479364694) - anyone ever use one of these? Looks narrow enough to allow the 1919A5 extended charging handle. Would probably have to weld this onto another 1919A4 backplate to trust it. Any wisdom from the beltfed gurus?

I'm also still trying to find a 1919A4 spade grip with a butterfly trigger... wish me luck.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
That style from OOW is also made by Ordnance Research and is often for sale at KCR and SAR. I have a set of the OR version in my inventory.

But there were two makers who used to have the butterfly style, TNW and Allied Armament. I don't see these on TNW's website anymore, and AA is long gone. However, I do know someone who plans to reintroduce that style, but pre-occupation with making a living has him away from home for much of this year. No telling when those will get done, at this point.

That odd, slip-on set looks to be a bit cheesy to me. So, NBC LT, how are your welding and fabrication skills? Are you up to making up your own set? http://www.browningmgs.com/Spades/Main.htm

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Still considering setting my 1919A4 up as a 1919A5 with spade grips. Saw this "slip on" spade grip assembly on gunbroker (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=479364694) - anyone ever use one of these? Looks narrow enough to allow the 1919A5 extended charging handle. Would probably have to weld this onto another 1919A4 backplate to trust it. Any wisdom from the beltfed gurus?

I'm also still trying to find a 1919A4 spade grip with a butterfly trigger... wish me luck.

I've got a set of these like the auction you linked.

As Lucky said they are a bit on the chesey side....However they do work and are 1/3rd the price.

As far as size goes...they are the same dimention as the standard spade grips..Squezeing in a a5 or similar charge handle will/would be tight.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
I've got a set of these like the auction you linked.

As Lucky said they are a bit on the chesey side....However they do work and are 1/3rd the price.

As far as size goes...they are the same dimention as the standard spade grips..Squezeing in a a5 or similar charge handle will/would be tight.
Key here is finding out what works for you. If they get the job done, as theduke points out, then that's what matters most.

·
Registered
481 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Ordnance Research spades. They are well made, and function flawlessly.....not to mention that they were most likely assembled by a fellow forum member! Whether or not they will work with your intended purpose, I can't say. Cool idea though. :thumbup:

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
I'm thinking I had better dig my 1919A5 out of the safe and try both the OR and some old TNW spades on, then see if the charging bar will still fit without interference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts