1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's just about done. Going to change to a .30 cal sight so that windage knob pin is sticking up there. Just holding it on for the moment. Still working on the belt holding pawl pins and a rear cartridge stop, but all else is in place except the obvious barrel, shroud and booster. Here is the original thread, and current pics below. http://1919a4.com/NonCGI/Forum6/HTML/005706.html

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, even negative attention is attention nevertheless! :p

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Way Cool Rollin,
I applaude you Sir..........

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wooo hoo Rollin!! You got it parked!

IT LOOKS AMAZING!
Guys, I've seen this M37 close up and let me tell you, It's outstanding!
Rollin's fine work is an art form! and of course MACHINEHEAD2 for his truly talented and exquisite machining skills!

WTG GUYS!

:D

·
Legendary Donor
2,485 Posts
I have a start, had a customer send me his parts to machine and he sent a M37 barrel extension, I called and told him and offered to send it back and just sell him a 1919 extension for what OOW wants for them, instead he said if I swapped it out for a 1919 extension I could just keep it, now the question, build a M37 or sell it, what's it worth anyway?

It's an SAK

·
Registered
866 Posts
Now if someone can just mass produce the charging handle assemblies for use on a 1919, they would sell a bunch. Looks good Rollin, that old park mix keeps going and going and going.

·
Registered
34 Posts
M37

Rollin,
That's Very Impressive Work Of Art. I Am Drooling Right Now. You're M37 Is Everyone's Dream, Very Clean Cut And Good-looking!
Thanks For The Inspiration.
Adrian

·
"man of the cloth" Loader
864 Posts
Oh you *ss!!

God,:eek: there it is the only BMG (30 cal) variant I?ve always wanted and have not been able to find (when could afford to buy one) :( and you go and build it up; very nicely at that!! By the time an NFA one comes around there is NO WAY I?ll be able to get one! The loan on the last toy was bad enough.
But really that?s one GREAT LOOKING gun! Good job man!:D
BA

·
Registered
660 Posts
WOW! Beautiful work my friend! Is this a side plate you're building or re-doing a complete gun. I have a pre-May DS 1919A4 E1. Yes, that is correct. It is stamped "E1" It is the predessor to the M-37. I believe @ 15,000 (I could be wrong) A4's were re-worked into the E1's before the M-37 came to fruition. Basically all that was done was 4 holes were drilled and tapped into the right side plate, and 2 brackets were attached to allow a flat piece of steel with a hook on the end to engage the charging handle of the 1919. I'm looking to get it re built and have the trunnion hard chromed. Do you do this kind of work? Your quality is EXACTLY what I'm looking for in a re-build. Steve

·
Registered
98 Posts
Did you use a special solution or did you add something to
get it like that. I've got a M1 that I am redoing and would like
to get that kind of finish on her. Hints are appreciated:)).

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't mean to answer for Rollin, But i do believe the Park is an Allegheny Arsenal Park it. It's a premixed reusable kit, No blackener needed.. the longer you leave the parts in, the darker it gets.. after 20 minutes or so .. it gets pretty darn close to a beautiful charcoal black.

AA kit is the way to go IMO.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Allegheny Arsenal Park!

Thanks, Arisaka San. Yep, it's just as simple as that, Allegheny Arsenal solution. It is a deep gray, not completely black. And there is a fair amount of oil on it still in these pictures, so that probably makes it look a little darker than it is. The close up of the engraving makes it look lighter, but that is a quirk of that particular exposure. DRH's comment is telling too, and he should know as he has been up to his elbows in my park tank! It keeps going and going! We have been using this same batch since the March Build Party and it is well seasoned. I just top it off with a little extra juice if it seems to be slowing down or getting weaker.

.30calmachinegunner- that M37 barrel extension is definitely worth more than a 1919 one. I'd say about 2-3 times, but that may become conservative soon, if not already. This stuff is getting more and more rare. I would be interested myself if you decide to sell it. Especially if it's RIA marked. The alternative marking would be SAK. As a start for an M37 build, you would have a LONG way to go. A year or so ago there were still a fair amount of M37 parts, but they are about all gone. One particular fellow is buying it all up, and that is referred to in the old thread, linked at the first post here. If you look there you will see how much was involved for us to get these done.

Steve S- This is a semi-auto project. I envy you that you have not only the FA ability in your state, but that you have such a rare variation. The E1 is a very cool piece of history. Unfortunately, I am NOT a licensee and, while I build my own and help others in my home shop, I cannot rebuild a gun for someone. Believe me, I'd be tempted to do some of that on the side if I could get the licensing issue resolved, but the unfortunate reality is that I live within the L.A. city limits and they would never allow it. Should you take your gun apart and need a source for the trunnion chroming, the shop who did two for me charged $75 apiece. Masking is the expensive part. Only the feedway surface is plated. In a couple of years I hope to be set up in Texas and am thinking of going the 07/SOT route, if time allows me to use it.

Thanks to TiredIron, Arisaka San, Arctic2, brassmagnet, DRH, MD4ZZZS, BA, glockhead, Steve S and Thumper&Buttercup for all your kind comments. This has been a truly rewarding project and I appreciate the response. Even fal 762X51's reply! If you haven't seen the earlier thread, please do so, that you might appreciate the fine work that machinehead2 put into making these become a reality. http://1919a4.com/NonCGI/Forum6/HTML/005706.html Without Gary, this would never have happened. Me? I just sort of stuck all the parts together! ;)

·
Registered
660 Posts
How did you get your rivets to so damn nice??? That is the cleanest riveting I've seen! Steve S

1 - 20 of 25 Posts