1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have been a member here for years back when I put my 1919A4 together, but haven't posted for years. It is still running just fine. I have now upped my game a bit and picked up what is supposed to be an Allied Armament M3AC semi .50 BMG. It has the aircraft M3 barrel and full length shroud/booster. I would like to convert this to an M2HB ground mount configuration. I am getting mixed signals as to whether this can be done. I have a set of M3 spade grips, an M2HB barrel support and a barrel bearing and bushing coming. I have an M2 heavy barrel. What is involved in doing the conversion, if it is even possible?? THX

krf

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Bolt, buffer and grips have to match is my understanding. So, swap barrels and extensions, but keep the guts and grips m3.

If you want to go all out and put m2 spades on the back, you'll have to match the bolt and buffer, no biggie, just expensive.

So, how much do you want for that worthless, shot out (rusty) aircraft barrel? ;)

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
M3 to M2HB

The only major difference between the M3 and M2HB are the depressors riveted into the side plates for the M3 gun. To make the M3 into an M2HB....
1)-use of the M3 buffer body is imperative,as the depressors are in the side plates
2)-you can use the M3 bolt and bbl extension...but they should mate well with the M3 buffer body. If not...use the M2HB bolt and bbl extension. Remember...the heavier M2HB internals will have a slower rate of cycle and fire on a FA gun
3)-install the M2HB bbl bushing and set screw into the trunion and the M2HB bbl support on the front.
4)-install internals and check for clearance and ease of movement. Then install M2HB bbl and check again. If all seems smooth and without any grinding or interference,use a dummy round to check cycle...feed,chamber,fire,extract,eject,feed next round. Remember to check head space....then check again.
5)-After all this,gun should operate smoothly and should be ready to live-fire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I have M3 spades coming from BMG Parts along with the M2 barrel support (shroud). I got a nice WWII M2HB barrel from OOW. I have a NIW M3 barrel dated 1954 that came with the gun. A second M3 barrel barrel that came on the gun is not bad at all. I am probably planning on selling both of them everything is up and running. I need to get a TM and headspace gauge yet. So the plan is to keep the guts M3 and make the front end M2HB. I had heard that it may need a new barrel bearing that will need to be drilled for the locking screw. This is new to me..Is this something I can do myself?? THX

krf

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Would be interested in the M3 aircraft barrel also, have M2 parts to trade for it also. you can contact me at ajmdreammg42-at-yahoo-dot-com

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
..Is this something I can do myself?? THX

krf
Bit of a trick question there. I forgot that you have to swap out the bearing. Drilling it for the stop screw... Well, i'm not the metal working guy in the family. It is a simple thing, but no doubt I would screw it up if I tried. Your results may vary, depending on your skills. I suggest ordering the bearing and eyeballing the job, then decide. The bearings are not hard to find.

It sounds like there will be a line forming to buy your extra aircraft parts, guess I'll keep waiting for that magic deal I can afford. Parts for this gun are EXPENSIVE!:rolleyes:

Ps: the other M2/M3 difference is sights. Dunno if your gun had sights on it, but they are nice to have. Steer clear of the sarco "assault" sights, they are pretty much worthless :(

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Sell some FALs then send the thing to Lucky#13 here for the conversion. Or sell the M3 outright and buy an M2 from CWA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who said anything about FAL's?? ;) I'm still waiting on parts, so it will take a while. I also have a question about the crank that is currently on it. I will post some pics a bit later with my questions. Thanks!!

krf

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
send the thing to Lucky#13 here for the conversion. Or sell the M3 outright and buy an M2 from CWA.
I doubt if the difference is worth fussing with. The only real difference is the two wiggly bits: are they in the sideplates, or the buffer housing. All else is just swappable internals.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK...So I talked to Ed at CWA. He wanted to know for sure who made the gun. I do no see any markings by Allied Armament. Here are a few pics. Does anyone know who made the crank? If anyone has any info on who made this gun, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

krf

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Might want to check on the inside of the side plates with a strong light and after taking the internals out. By law,there must be markings with the makers name,address and date of assembly. If none...might be a bit tough to find out who made it. It might take a bit of back-tracking to do so. Forgot to add....you could also contact KMP to see who they sold the RSP to originally.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
My AA 1919 has the name and "Semi-Auto" inside the box. Right side plate. Look inside from underneath. In the ejection area.
My gun also has the actual serial on the outside with the faux machine gun info. # is under one thousand, and I got it just before they went out of business.
Yours appears to be # forty five hundred sixty eight. I highly doubt they made that many.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Karl, that might be a prototype 50 Emory crank. It's worth bank.

You should be able to use your existing internals with the hb barrel support and barrel without issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gear, good to hear from you!! You need to get ahold of me, you've been missing a lot of fun!!

Thanks for the info. All the needed parts are inbound as of today.

krf

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And it is done!! I am very pleased. M3 spades in place, just a few minor hiccups to overcome. I think it is ready for test firing.

krf

1 - 20 of 21 Posts