1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
Is the M63 technically a tripod? :confused:
Thought I'd ask here anyway.....I've got a complete M63 with a dummy M2. Lots of original paint color left, a couple legs don't match....but the longer I look at it, the more I'd like to repaint. Any idea what the correct shade of OD is?

Thanks!
Chad

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Hi,
Is the M63 technically a tripod? :confused:
Thought I'd ask here anyway.....I've got a complete M63 with a dummy M2. Lots of original paint color left, a couple legs don't match....but the longer I look at it, the more I'd like to repaint. Any idea what the correct shade of OD is?

Thanks!
Chad
Technically not a tripod. It is a "Antiaircraft Mount" or specifically Cal .50 AA Machine Gun Mount,M63". The color of all military equipment will vary depending on when it was used. WWII equipment was usually a lighter OD than the 1950 era. Early WWII was actually slightly darker shade 33070. Late war was a light shade 319 or a very similar shade 34087 and post war a dark even brownish shade 24087. Paint designation that starts with "3" is "lusterless". Paint that begins with "2" is semigloss. Most color listings that you see are listed for vehicles but they seem to carry over to other things as well.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks....kinda what I was thinking. I have some leftover 24087 from 3 M11 rifle racks I repainted. Most of the mount is semi gloss, 2 of the legs are similar to 34087.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the pictures, and I'll post up a pic or 2 of the M63 in question. The color (at least indoors) looks very similar to this M31C. I ordered some lusterless OD and some semi gloss OD from Midwest Military. I'll probably paint the mount lusterless and the tombstone the semi gloss.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Just as an FYI, vehicle manuals have a procedure for "re-dulling" lusterless paint by rubbing with a solvent to remove the oil sheen from constant use. Most original larger size hardware would have been a semigloss while things like vehicles and accessories would be dull. In reality things were repainted with what was available. If your motorpool boss wanted some rust removed and repainted, I doubt the cry of " but we dont have the correct cage code paint!" would have been heard. Take a look at any color photo from WWII of vehicles, holy cow what a mish-mosh of paint. j

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol, no kidding. I got my paint a few days ago and will get to painting soon. Will post a before and after picture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts