1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I want to give you all a warning about the M9 Barrel Case being offered by Sportsmans Guide, DON'T BUY IT!

Here is a link to the item: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=271393#

I like to keep my barrels in cases and this seemed like a decent buy from SG. Yea, there are some that hate them, but this is the first item I have received that is BAD. The case has been de-milled by cutting off about the bottom 1/3 of the case and two simple stitches across the bottom. The length of the case will NOT hold any barrel as it is WAY to short. I will be sending a note to SG about this and the cases will be going back to them Monday! Just wanted to keep you from wasting your time.

Now, I don't plan to stop buying from them unless this becomes a habit, but I am upset about the non disclosure about them not being able to hold a barrel and being de-milled. SO. don't buy them!

While on the subject, does anyone know where I can get some of the Izzy barrel cases at a decent price?

Edit: I just sent an e-mail to SG Customer Service about this CRAPPY item they are selling and requested comments back. I don't know if they will or not, but please don't buy these! I will keep you posted on what happens.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I bought one from Sportsmans Guide and liked it so much I went back and bought another. The first one was OK the second was about 10 inches short. I didn't notice this at the time, never even took it out of the bag. I should have seen this right away. Thanks for the heads up. Their warehouse is only about 10 miles from my house and I will be visiting them tomorrow (they are closed on Mondays). These were probably shortened to use for something else as they appear new otherwise.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carry Case

Armorer,

The stitching is worse than what I would do on my wifes sewing machine, LOL. Someone did a BAD job of stitching with even light weight thread. The cases I received would not hold the first barrel side down into it without popping open. Mine are so short, only an Uzi or Sten barrel would fit.

I did receive an e-mail back from SG and they will pay the return shipping. They will be on thier way back tomorrow at the latest. This is the first problem I have ever had with any of their items, so until more of this happens, I will continue to buy from them.

If you go back tomorrow, see if they have un-cut ones and let me know! Thanks

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I will be asking if they will let me see several of them. My guess is they have a mixed lot. Unfortunately I don't think I kept my receipt.

By the way is that your picture in the uper left of you posting?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Armorer,

No, the photo is Otto Skortzeny who was a member of the German Secret Service, or "Abwehr" as it was known. Skortzeny was the German officer who masterminded the escape of Benito Musollini and assisted in the Germans working thier way into the American lines at the Battle of the Bulge.

Thanks for looking at the cases at SG if you get a chance. If they have good ones, I will try to order some more GOOD ones. I need at least two cases for my barrels.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Otto Skortzeny

That brings to mind a story. When I was in the first years of my National Guard career I met a Warrant Officer who had been an NCO in the British Marines during WWII. He had taken part in the Battle of Britain and was sent to the battle in Narvig in Norway. He was evacuated from there and sent to North Africa. Eventually he was sent to Crete where he was captured. He spent the rest of the war in a POW camp In Austria. On one of his many escapes he met his future wife. It turns out his wifes uncle was Otto Skortzeny.

Stranger still, his wifes brother was killed in battle during the war in a place called Narvig in Norway.

Year later this fellow confided in me that in the years prior to WWII he himself had been a member of the Nazi party in England. He spoke almost perfect German. On one of his return trips to Austria he surprised some his Austrian friends by singing the Horst Wessel song. They were surprised that he still remembered the words.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The website shows the M8 case, not the M9. The M8 is made of very light canvas, not padded, and originally had a leather plug on the end. The plugs' stitching was known to fail. That is what probably happened to the one pictured on the site and it was sewn up, making it shorter. The M8 was designed for watercooled barrels, which were much thinner and lighter.

Those that want to cover A4 barrels, you need an M9 cover, not the M8.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bill,

Thanks for the information, I made the mistake in the casr number. The case I received was definetly demilled by cutting off the bottom 1/3 and the stitching of the cut bottom is very "cheesy". I would have done better on my wife's sewing machine. Actually, I need two cases for 1917A1 barrels, but I either M8 or M9 will work for me OK. By chance, you don;t have these do you?

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Barrel Case

For some reason only about one of every three reponses I make gets through. Anyone know why? I'll try this one again.

I examined the two barrel cases I got from Sportsman Guide and both say M8. One is 33-1/2 inches long the other is 24 inches. l Now I have to wonder, why 33-1/2 when the barrel is only 24 inches long. Both cases have the same 45 degree angle cut on the end and the same cheap stitching. All pictures I have seen of them in manuals show a square cut. The lettering of the short one is even cut off.

Too long or too short. I bet these were all factory reject inventory and were not cut down but were simply "finished" to make them sellable for something other than barrels (maybe fish poles). This probably happened back in the 50's.

How long is an original M8 supposed to be?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
Not the same as US, but there were some nice Yugo barrel covers available from Long Mountain outfitters recently. I saw some lase December and they were in like new condition. I think they were asking $15 and were a loose copy of the M9. Not exactly the same in detail, but nice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Every M8 cover I have seen is longer than the barrel, but I do not remember it being 10 inches longer. I do remember being able to fold it over with the watercooled barrel inside.

As far as using it for the A4 barrel, I would not recommend it. The cover is not padded and very weak. The stitching fails too. An A4 barrel is so heavy it would poke right thru an original M8 cover if it shifts. That is probably why these are sewn up. Remember originally it had a leather plug on the end and they came off very easily.

Sorry the only M9 covers I have I am keeping for my FA 1919A6.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Case

ktrip,

Thanks for the information!!! I will get some of these on order today. The only other place I found them was Military Specialties, and they were $20 ea. The price at Omahas is much better.

I really appreciate all the help from you guys!

Edit - OK, the Barrel Cases from Omaha's are on order. At their price I bought a few more than I need, but you never know when I will get more barrels. I also ordered a few more items too. Thanks again "ktrip" for letting know about them!

Another Edit - I have already received the shipping confirmation from Omaha Surplus that the cases will ship tomorrow. Wow, that is fast service! As they say in Texas, "they are fast on the draw", LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts