1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So hypothetically say a Navy buddy of mine found a live MG08/15 in an attic in Houston and the buddy in question is confident no paperwork exists. Can he cut the right side plate apart without running afoul of the NFA? If he hypothetically were to torch the plate apart is there anything on the right plate he should take care to avoid from a parts kit standpoint?

Anyone know anyone in Houston that could potentially help with destroying the plate and not the rest of the parts?

Is he going to run afoul by attempting to destroy the right plate?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Check first before destroying anything . BATFE can tell you if it's registered . If not , strip it and turn the plate in . If so , a heir may be found and it could be saved .
Chris

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I will advise him to do. I am three states away currently but I will get him to call the field office and if it isn't in the registry I will do my best to walk him through removing the right plate for destruction.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I 've had 4 brought to me so far . Two early M16s I striped for parts kits and sold to people who restored registered lowers and the sheriff got two spare lowers for their stock , a grease gun that I used the parts to return mine to early configuration and destroyed the receiver , and a Thompson that was done the same . None were registered and all were bring backs .
Chris

·
11,291 Posts
the nfa will not tell you if they are on the registry. it is tax information and private. sometimes you can get lucky. other times you cant.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah okay. I just sent you a PM. He is going to try the Houston field office and if they are unwilling we can the other route.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Ah okay. I just sent you a PM. He is going to try the Houston field office and if they are unwilling we can the other route.
Do NOT have him go to the field office. That is the ATF and they DO NOT play nice. Have him CALL the NFA branch. (304) 616-4500

I cannot stress this enough: TELL HIM NOT TO GO TO THE LOCAL ATF FIELD OFFICE.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
The ATF and the NFA branch do not share information. Furthermore, Rory is right. ^^ 5% chance they'll share that info.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay so I have advised him not to call the field office and call the NFA branch directly. I also gave him a couple respected names in the machine gun community who are way more experienced than i will ever be.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Good move. It's an NFA item. The local branch does not have access to that information. Best call the people that do.

·
11,291 Posts
and even still, likely a no go on getting desired info. ive been lucky to get a response once and turned down 5 other times.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Mr E gave the best advice. And have an NFA lawyer do the phone calls.
CaptMax

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put him in contact with Bob Naess as Mr E suggested and advised him to contact an NFA lawyer as well. I really appreciate the effort and suggestions gentlemen. Sincerely thank you all.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Some years ago I helped a friend who was storing an MG08/15 and a half dozen other sample machine guns that were a part of a dealer collection. The dealer forgot to renew the license and the ATF claimed the guns were no longer legal to have. Since my friend had called the ATF the ATF was not too concerned about when to confiscate them. As I recall it took about a month to get around to it. In the mean time I helped to remove the critical side plates from two M1919A4s and an MG08-15. As I recall it involved only a few rivets. The ATF was satisfied to receive the side plates alone. Had it turned out that the guns were actually still legal to own it would not have been to difficult to reassemble them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess at the end of the day I am just trying to not destroy a legal gun and keep my buddy out of jail......actually that part of it hasn't changed much in a decade. He did the same for me back in the bad old days.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
What kill me about this whole thing is they want people to follow the laws , but make it next to imposable for them to do so.

·
Premium Member
5,456 Posts
There really should be a better way to check on these attic finds to find out if they were papered or not but at the end of the day they will never understand guys like us that are in it for the history and I am sure most would rather see them destroyed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts