1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
There really should be a better way to check on these attic finds to find out if they were papered or not but at the end of the day they will never understand guys like us that are in it for the history and I am sure most would rather see them destroyed.
What they need to do is change the law to anything pre 68 that has a original receiver is grandfathered and can be registered.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Agreed but I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

Reactions: Rory

·
Registered
891 Posts
I would find a smith that like to play fast to take it and post sample it
You can not post sample a existing machine gun!!! A post sample or better known as a dealer sample must be built using a newly built side plate with that manufacture's info engraved on it. A dealers sample is a new built gun.
Greg

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
The sad reality here is that this gun is going to meet one of three fates:

1) go back in the attic, and in 30 years the next generation will stumble on it when they will:
2) send it to the bottom of a lake

or
3) it gets dismantled and the sideplate gets destroyed

I hate the thought of destroying history, but at least if you take demil steps now, the weapons stands a decent chance of surviving as a parts gun, a semi, or rebuilt as a postie.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
What they need to do is change the law to anything pre 68 that has a original receiver is grandfathered and can be registered.
And this will lead to the unemployment of how many college educated, highly compensated government workers? Any time you want to know why something does or doesn't happen, follow the money.

·
11,296 Posts
And this will lead to the unemployment of how many college educated, highly compensated government workers? Any time you want to know why something does or doesn't happen, follow the money.
this would just add to the registry. although i am for a repeal and removal of the nfa branch, i know that this is not going to happen.

·
Registered
97 Posts
As Ian from Forgotten Weapons says in the video with John Keene, once you contact the ATF you will have to finish the path down that road. I encourage people to watch it. I think the link was already posted. He does recommend that you strip it down to the bare receiver. You can call them,. but they will want to come out to see the firearm. Tell them exactly how you stumbled across it. Hopefully you get a couple of agents that are really into antique firearms. It the mean time, get a list of anyone in your family that was in the military that could have brought that back. They can't tell you if it is registered, but if you give them a name and it matches, you are in luck and have a valuable firearm. Even if the person has passed away it will go to the next of kin. But, if it not registered, it will be leaving with them. And what ever is attached to the side plate when they see it.

Good luck,

L.C.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The right side plate is riveted onto the bottom plate and trunnion - not a big deal to pull them. There are also a few other bits riveted to the plated which should come off - then it's a flat piece of steel. Torch it, cut it - whatever and give it to the feds. In the meantime I know someone with a semi auto design for it....

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Unlike some other types of MG's, a FA MG 08/15 MG is surprising low in value (in today's market) with nice examples selling in the $8K - $10K range. A nice parts kit is easily worth half of that I think?

I would probably say pull off the right side plate, then the owners will be able to recover a significant portion of the gun's worth. The real question is do you demill the right side plate or leave it intact in case the receiver is actually registered. Just my two cents.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts