1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to add a model 1917 bolo to my 1917a1 display.
I’m too dang cheap to pay $100 for a reproduction or for an original for that matter. It is a nice thought to have one in the periphery of the display, but it just didn’t mean that much to me. At least money wise.
Many of you know I have access to a CNC plasma cutter. It took me a while but I finally got a copy of the blueprints, but I finally found them and went to programming.

Below is the steps of my recent project.
Photo heavy, be warned.

pic 1 is the evolution of programming and scaling to correct size.

pic 2 is the cutting. I used 1/4 inch cold rolled, Not sure of the carbon content. This is for looks anyway. No I didn’t quench, temper, etc. This is not “ Forged in Fire”

Pic 3 blade blank

Pic 4 random piece of scrap steel I picked up to machine the pommel out of

Pic 5 cutting the guard from 3/16” mild steel

pic 6 guard attached and the pommel has been machined and pinned

pic 7 black walnut scales made (Phillips screws temporary)

pic 8 parkerized and scale screws borrowed from some garand bayonets for the pic

pic 9 stamped nomenclature on right side

Pic 10. On originals the manufacturer and date were normally stamped. Most of the ones I’ve seen are Plumb 1918. Since I made it I put my last name on it. In the event it is ever lost or stolen it will be easy to identify. Plus it will not be mistaken for an original by any knowledgeable collector.
I also put a “code” on the guard (date). When I was drilling for the nut, a chip came out of the scale. I’m not making another scale for that

Today an original scabbard came in the mail that I won on eBay.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The new site will only allow 10 pics. So here is the pic of the scabbard.
the grip scales have new screws which I will parkerize Monday.
Now, does anyone know how many of these were actually used by water cooled crews in WWII?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
It sucks that you go threw all that work , planning things out ...Adding all the details ...Getting to final assembly , and having the handle chip......Great job anyway.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sucks that you go threw all that work , planning things out ...Adding all the details ...Getting to final assembly , and having the handle chip......Great job anyway.
Adds “character” 😏

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Nice work Andy I am guessing you have a few hours into that one but it looks good and will certainly compliment your WWI display.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts