1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mag58/M240 Rivets:

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Sky Machine gun

I’ve been contacted a few times in the past about Mag58/M240 rivets, but didn’t think there was enough demand to put together a purpose built set. Lately I’ve noticed an uptick in FN30 rivet sales, which is odd. Come to find out, some guys over at Weapons Guild are buying them to use the 5mm rivets in their Mag58 builds. For the 4mm rivets they have been buying commercial 5/32” rivets (which are within 0.001”) and turning down the heads to the correct 60 deg. angle. One of them finally contacted me to see what I have in 4mm rivets. After some research on my part, and a good bit of caliper work on his part, it looks like I can put together a set of rivets that will go together far better than the one currently available – and for a lot less than the $250.00 they charge. My 5mm and 4mm flat head rivets have the correct 60 deg heads, and appear to have the correct head diameter as well. The lengths are not correct, but they are easily shortened. Volume is too low to custom make all rivets to the actual spec. lengths.

Those of you working on Mag58/M240 builds, look this over and tell me what you think. As always, I want to put together the best set I can and offer it at a reasonable price. I’m going to talk to Karma about making the large Locking shoulder rivet and Pintle bushing, but will probably leave sales to them.

Basic rivet set to assemble Mag58 or M240 LMG. All Flat head rivets have 60 deg. heads but are longer than specified in factory drawings. Cut to appropriate length before peening. Rivets are as described.

RivetQuantityDimensionsType
1)Large Trunnion: 28mm x 50mmRH
2)Small Trunnion: 45mm x 50mmRH
3)Bottom Plate:164mm x 12mm60 deg. FH
4)Rear Sight Base: 64mm x 12mm60 deg. FH
5)Locking Shoulder:105mm x 15.5mm60 deg. FH
6)Front of Charging Handle Rail: 34mm* x 12mm60 deg. FH
7)Bolt Guides: 6
5mm x 15.5mm
5mm x 18mm
5mm x 50mm
4mm x 18mm
60 deg. FH
60 deg. FH
60 deg. FH
60 deg. FH

Notes:
RH Roundhead
FH Flat head
* The actual rivet appears to be 3.5mm, which I don’t have. 1/8” is too small. Drill out to 4mm

Tell me what you think. MSG

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I will volunteer to be your guinea pig, if you want. I have the $200 set from Ohio ordnance and am about to rivet my kit. I will carefully compare each rivet as its placed for you.

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will volunteer to be your guinea pig, if you want. I have the $200 set from Ohio ordnance and am about to rivet my kit. I will carefully compare each rivet as its placed for you.
The OOW set appears to be made up of 90 deg. commercial rivets. That's a lot of side plate winding up on your shop floor. I'll have all the rivets listed in a couple weeks, and can send you a beta set - but I hadn't planned on giving them away. MSG

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I think I need a set or two. I hate the idea of spending that much on a rivet set. They want my FFL info just to order one of those rivet sets. Its like they don't want to sell them. I have one Mag58 kit and I certainly need one. Put me on the list. [email protected]

·
Registered
142 Posts
The OOW set appears to be made up of 90 deg. commercial rivets. That's a lot of side plate winding up on your shop floor. I'll have all the rivets listed in a couple weeks, and can send you a beta set - but I hadn't planned on giving them away. MSG
I pulled a couple out of my OOW kit. They seem to be 60’s.

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was basing that statement on the photo on their website. In it the short, flat head rivets appear to have commercial, 90 degree heads. That looks like one of the long, 5mm Trunnion rivet you are holding. Do the shorter, 4mm and 5mm flat head rivets have the same angle heads?

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sent out four BETA sets, but have only received one second hand evaluation: "They worked fine."

I wanted more feedback before releasing them retail, but people keep asking for them. Tell you what, I can't "give away" any more BETA sets, but I will start selling them for $50.00 delivered. That should keep people from buying up all my FN30 rivets just for the 5mm stuff. The set is as described above, come and get them. MSG

·
Registered
2 Posts
I sent out four BETA sets, but have only received one second hand evaluation: "They worked fine."

I wanted more feedback before releasing them retail, but people keep asking for them. Tell you what, I can't "give away" any more BETA sets, but I will start selling them for $50.00 delivered. That should keep people from buying up all my FN30 rivets just for the 5mm stuff. The set is as described above, come and get them. MSG
ok great, im new to this site is there a pm function or where would you like to discuss the details ie shipping payment etc.

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just heard back from another builder who pointed out some differences in the MAG58 and M240 builds, which I need to digest. So let me put this on hold for a little while. More to follow. MSG

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Input from a knowledgeable builder:

Bolt guide rails: The MAG58 uses 4mm rivets. I can swap out the 5mm M240 rivets for the 4mm used in the MAG58.

Charging handle guide rail: I don't have any 3.5mm rivets, so I included enough 4mm rivets to replace those expecting the M240 builder to drill them out to 4mm. That will be more of a problem with the 3mm rivets in the MAG58. I will could toss in some 1/8" Round head rivets to peen on the inside, but they will still need to be drilled out to 1/8"

Top cover latch rivets: I was not aware of those rivets thus they are not included in the current kit. Tell me what is needed.

Bottom plate rivets: I don't have the round head countersunk rivets in 4mm, just the 60 deg. countersunk rivets.

Large trunnion rivets: I don't match the exact head geometry or length, just trying to provide a usable rivet. The builder can easily turn the head to match the factory profile with a drill press and a file.

Small trunnion rivets: The weapons I'd seen appeared to have a larger head, and the person who took measurements for me said there was not a chamfer on the outside of the Side plate. Two options: turn the heads to match the original round head countersink rivet, or don't chamfer the outside of the replacement Side plate and use the existing pan heads on that side.

Top and bottom plate rivet heads: The head is actually dimensioned for use in Cams for the 1917/1919. Come to find out they're the same rivet head used for the Top and Bottom plate of the ANM2. Bummed to hear they're a little small for this application. I had a 4mm rivet with a slightly larger head, but they have been expended.

It looks like OOW has upped their game. Their original set appeared to be 5/32" 90 deg. commercial rivets of various lengths, which was kinda ghetto. The rivets I've seen recently have the correct 60 deg. heads. They appear to be made on a screw machine rather than rivet forming machines, which would explain the much greater cost. I'll probably differentiate between the MAG58 and M240 and change out the Bolt guide rivets and add 1/8" round head rivets for the MAG 58 builders. Because the heads are slightly small for the Top and Bottom plate rivets, I'll probably just sell out my limited supply and discontinue the product. I'd have to have a market of a couple hundred build sets to justify custom rivet runs. MSG

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The initial batch of MAG58/M240 Rivets are all sold. I'm going to look into possibly ordering a run of 4mm rivets with a larger 60 deg. head and making more sets. More to follow. MSG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts