1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are some excellent WWI MG collections in the States but this great site needs a German thread :) so starting off posts either period imagery or items. Please add when you can?

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maschinengewehr

Captured MG08 from an earlier display at the Imperial War Museum, London.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mg08/15

Noting muzzle booster.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mg08/15

A relic dug up MG08/15

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
This one came in on a wing and a prayer. She runs just fine.

Reactions: CaptMax

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lmg08/15

Dan thanks for posting - a superb air MG. Here is one of mine:

with a period image

·
Registered
2,971 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
There are some excellent WWI MG collections in the States but this great site needs a German thread :) so starting off posts either period imagery or items. Please add when you can?

Great photo, the man holding the shield will never be a gunner...... some things to note for those not versed in German machine gun crews .... the man with the shield... note his shovel ... it has a smaller blade and shorter handle than a standard infantry shovel , these were only issued to Mg crews the sling across the shoulder is also mg crew specific it has hooks and a loop on the end , it could be used to carry/drag the sled mount and also support the weight to carry the ammo cans, the flat leather case on the belt of the one man with binoculars is a spare parts/tool wallet for the Mg08 by the boots this is a Cav. unit by the lower cocade on the field mutz (hat) this may be a Bavarian unit... probably more info than most people want but there you have it....

·
Registered
2,971 Posts

Noting muzzle booster.
yes the gun could run without the booster it was more for dispersing and hiding some of the flash than any thing else i have seen photos of both the 08 &08/15 being fired without the booster....

could you post the full image it would be interesting to see the whole thing

Not mine but here is the bushing being used in place of the booster....

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Great photo, the man holding the shield will never be a gunner...... some things to not for those not versed in German machine gun crews .... the man with the shield... note his shovel ... it has a smaller blade and shorter handle than a standard infantry shovel , these were only issued to Mg crews the sling across the shoulder is also mg crew specific it has hooks and a loop on the end , it could be used to carry/drag the sled mount and also support the weight to carry the ammo cans, the flat leather case on the belt of the one man with binoculars is a spare parts/tool wallet for the Mg08 by the boots this is a Cav. unit by the lower cocade on the field mutz (hat) this may be a Bavarian unit... probably more info than most people want but there you have it....
Actually this level of detail is always interesting - There is so much more info in a photo if someone has the knowledge to bring it out....

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
from my post card collection, Group of young German Soldats with their Mg 08 Maxim they wear their Machine gun sniper sleeve badge units were trained to use the 08 with scope in a sniping roll they wear their badge with honor... the appear to be celebrating with friends and bier perhaps they have just completed the course.....

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I love that Ersatz trench mount and the original post card with it in use.....
Yeah, it looks cooler than it is shooting from it. I bet some really good looking American sold it to him!

My cool Ersatz Trench mount made in the alsace region under German control in 1915. Its not a real mount without 4 legs or a tree! :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Great photo, the man holding the shield will never be a gunner...... some things to not for those not versed in German machine gun crews .... the man with the shield... note his shovel ... it has a smaller blade and shorter handle than a standard infantry shovel , these were only issued to Mg crews the sling across the shoulder is also mg crew specific it has hooks and a loop on the end , it could be used to carry/drag the sled mount and also support the weight to carry the ammo cans, the flat leather case on the belt of the one man with binoculars is a spare parts/tool wallet for the Mg08 by the boots this is a Cav. unit by the lower cocade on the field mutz (hat) this may be a Bavarian unit... probably more info than most people want but there you have it....
Outstanding info! Thanks for the lesson, learned something new!

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
another period image of this.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Accessories

Great additions to the thread. Nice mount Matt :) If members require more explanations then it can be done as long as the moderator is happy in the 'water cooled' section.

So just to kick off the standard body armour as used by sentries and machine gunners.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A famous photo British Guardsmen with booty.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts