1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have come across a gentleman who is part of the "old" MG crowd, retired, sold off his transferables, and now is interested in selling parts kits. Seems he has MG08, 08/15, Chinese Type (26 ?) and Finnish maxim parts kits, some tripods, sokolov mount and "other stuff" . He is quite knowledgeable on what they are, and probably what they are worth, so these will not be cheap. I have not seen the kits yet, and obviously completeness, condition and condition will drive price. I have seen the kits on GB, and that is one data point. The question for the group is, what are reasonable prices to pay for the parts kits ?
The MG08 was built into a display gun, so internals are trashed - lock, action arms, cams, as it used thick side plates and cut the parts to fit. I dont think anything else has been done to the other kits.
So -
MG08 sort of kit
08/15 kit ?
Chinese type 26 kit
Finnish Maxim - no idea on model
Finnish tripod
Sokolov Mount - this one is pretty easy....

Comments, discussion ? I assume there is a market for the sets, and I will probably sell most of it. Need to make it worth my time and If I do buy it, will be writing a fairly big check. I need to get a decent deal to be able to recover and make a little on this .

thanks for your time -

Brian

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guys - this is not an ad to sell the stuff, I will post that when I have it in hand and can evaluate the stuff. I need some input on what a reasonable price to pay for the kits and mounts might be - think about it this way - tell me what you would pay for a decent kit / mount listed. I have not seen them, can assume he got good stuff and stored it well, but I have to evaluate what to offer for the whole pile, and what I could sell it for. I am guessing it will cost me about $10k + to get the stuff based on his description of the number of kits and mounts, at a guesstimate price. If I am going to write a check for that kind of money, I have to be able to make money on it too or it is not worth tying up the funds.

·
Registered
388 Posts
my 2 cents worth

remember this ---HOW WERE THEY CUT that means a lot
like SAW CUT W BARRELS =WORTH MUCH MORE then Torch cut without barrels

Just my 2cents worth:needpics:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
remember this ---HOW WERE THEY CUT that means a lot
like SAW CUT W BARRELS =WORTH MUCH MORE then Torch cut without barrels

Just my 2cents worth:needpics:
Good point. based on the photos of the 08 show a "typical" maxim demil - plates cut or removed but all "good parts" intact, including barrels. Except in the case of the 008, they made a display gun out of it with thick wall plates and parts cut down accordingly. these parts kits have been "in hand" of owner for on the order of 15-20 yrs. I will get photos as soon as I can, but that is going to be a day or two out at least.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I'm interested in the 08 kit.

I saw 1 at the creek near Dolf's table, he was asking $3800. Looked complete except for the booster. Thought he was a little high on the price but I would be interested if decent and no buggered jacket depending on condition of the parts. Don't want to commit to a price without seeing pics. but probably around the $3000 mark depending on manufacturer

The last time I saw a Finnish kit sell it was around $2800-3000 no tripod. I've seen the tripods get $1800 and Ord Research had a couple of them at KCR. Didn't find out what they sold for though

With 1910 Maxim kits getting over $2000 it's all getting difficult to find and expensive. Relative to transferable's a kit shouldn't be much more than 1/3 of the guns cost but then again dummy guns can command $4000+

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I buy and sell a lot of Maxim parts.

Yes condition is a big deal but assume average condition, that is free of rusty and pitting with wear to bluing:

MG08 sort of kit: Well as a dummy gun there has been one on GB for $2.6K not selling. So in that area depending on how complete. Probably $2k-$2.5K

08/15 kit: With Drum and bipod and steam port? Can swing lots of money depending on how complete. $2k-$4.5K
Chinese type 26 kit: I am going to assume Type 24 Chinese kit. I would say $1.5-$2.5K again as some of these are rough (No Tripod?)
Finnish Maxim - no idea on model: Probably a 1910 converted. $2.5K-$3K maybe more if actually Finn made.
Finnish tripod $500-$1000
Sokolov Mount - this one is pretty easy.... $300-$400

A lot depends on the condition and more importantly select hard to find parts!!! Some of these parts can be worth $600 each, so missing one or two can seriously change value as the common parts are fairly easy to find!

If you send me pictures, I will be happy to tell you more. I am very up to date on pricing as I sell these parts all the time. I sold a Chinese kit, Russian kit in the last year and have a MG08 to sell coming up. You don't want to go to deep in these as you can be missing the hard parts and watch these near complete kits be worth half as much stripped of the hard to find (but not the largest) parts. Some things you might see as a big deal, like a beat waterjacket would not mean anything to me as they are easy to get. Now does that waterjacket have a hose connector... if not, they are impossible to find... Also unlike other parts kits, the cuts to the receiver and the barrel are not the critical points of these demils. The barrels are often fairly cheap as are then main shell of the guns. The money is in the parts that are often missing/broken.

Troy, I have a nice MG08 kit coming up for sale soon!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK - as a follow up I went and looked over the "kits". They pretty much were not, just collection of sundry parts related to the various models that had been collected by the seller . I may make an offer on them to resell parts but there does not appear to be enough of anything there to do a build......

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I did not remember this thread...

I went and looked these items over yesterday and I'm going to pass also. he wants top dollar for kits missing quite a few parts. I've been looking for MG08 parts for a year now with no joy, did not want to make the headaches worse by looking for even more stuff.

Karl

·
Registered
193 Posts
08/15

So, I have come across a gentleman who is part of the "old" MG crowd, retired, sold off his transferables, and now is interested in selling parts kits. Seems he has MG08, 08/15, Chinese Type (26 ?) and Finnish maxim parts kits, some tripods, sokolov mount and "other stuff" . He is quite knowledgeable on what they are, and probably what they are worth, so these will not be cheap. I have not seen the kits yet, and obviously completeness, condition and condition will drive price. I have seen the kits on GB, and that is one data point. The question for the group is, what are reasonable prices to pay for the parts kits ?
The MG08 was built into a display gun, so internals are trashed - lock, action arms, cams, as it used thick side plates and cut the parts to fit. I dont think anything else has been done to the other kits.
So -
MG08 sort of kit
08/15 kit ?
Chinese type 26 kit
Finnish Maxim - no idea on model
Finnish tripod
Sokolov Mount - this one is pretty easy....

Comments, discussion ? I assume there is a market for the sets, and I will probably sell most of it. Need to make it worth my time and If I do buy it, will be writing a fairly big check. I need to get a decent deal to be able to recover and make a little on this .

thanks for your time -

Brian
any of this still around

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
any of this still around
I dont know - the kits were not really kits as Karl notes, and more a collection of parts. over priced for what they were..I never saw them come to the market but that does not mean they did not get bought by some one....

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
George (just north of Minneapolis) had these and sold the lot to Aren. He kept some stuff and re sold. Don't know where.

I skipped cause just too much missing. Impossible to find parts on 100 year old weapons when that much is missing.

What's the lot price at now?

Karl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts