1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys,

I have a MM 1910 Maxim that will not fit my Vickers cradle. The pins fit the pintle hole, but the receiver/box is too deep for the hole in the cradle to match up. Are there different cradles? Does anyone make a "taller" pintle for an M1917a1 Tripod? My knees are shot, and shooting off the sokolov mount kills me. Or do I (don't scream) grind the Vickers cradle piece (what would be where the pintle sticks up thru the cradle, and runs down through)?

How do you guys do it?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I put my Sokolov on a shooting bench if I don't feel like going prone or sitting low. :D
I know......... not the answer your looking for.
CaptMax

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Ok guys,

I have a MM 1910 Maxim that will not fit my Vickers cradle. The pins fit the pintle hole, but the receiver/box is too deep for the hole in the cradle to match up. Are there different cradles? Does anyone make a "taller" pintle for an M1917a1 Tripod? My knees are shot, and shooting off the sokolov mount kills me. Or do I (don't scream) grind the Vickers cradle piece (what would be where the pintle sticks up thru the cradle, and runs down through)?

How do you guys do it?
We need a picture. I was fairly sure that a 1910 would fit on.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You have a Turkish modified cradle with the insert for the anti-aircraft extension. the extension insert sticks out about 5/8" higher than on a standard Vickers Australian or British cradle. I do not know for sure if the sleeve can be easily removed but it appears to have a screw on top so it may be fairly easy to remove without damaging the cradle.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
You have a Turkish modified cradle with the insert for the anti-aircraft extension. the extension insert sticks out about 5/8" higher than on a standard Vickers Australian or British cradle. I do not know for sure if the sleeve can be easily removed but it appears to have a screw on top so it may be fairly easy to remove without damaging the cradle.
Yup... that explains it. I have never had a Turk Vickers pod but my guess is that its not going to be to hard to remove that piece.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Turk Cradle

Is your entire tripod Turkish or just the modified cradle? If just the cradle, I'm sure you could find someone to trade your Turkish for a standard cradle. There are people looking for the Turkish one to go with their Turk lower tripod...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts