1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Hey All,
Thought i'd try my hand at painting some recently acquired maxim armour for a "M1910 captured by the germans" feel. Im by no means an expert or painter but was a fun little quarantine project.
While the quality of the painting is very good, I think you got a littttle carried away with the colors. There is no way any gun was camouflaged that way unless it was setup in the hood in NYC.

In WWI the Germans basically used three colors separated by black borders. they were a muted green, a rust color brown, and a cream/mustard yellow color. The best way to get a understanding of what they looked like is to google WWI German helmets and look at the image examples of original M16 helmets that were painted. The Germans used those same colors on their machine gun water jackets and on the maxim armour. I have also seen it on the sniper/MG armor suits.

Now if you were just having fun with us, just ignore what I said above because I don't even own a German gun....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While the quality of the painting is very good, I think you got a littttle carried away with the colors. There is no way any gun was camouflaged that way unless it was setup in the hood in NYC.

In WWI the Germans basically used three colors separated by black borders. they were a muted green, a rust color brown, and a cream/mustard yellow color. The best way to get a understanding of what they looked like is to google WWI German helmets and look at the image examples of original M16 helmets that were painted. The Germans used those same colors on their machine gun water jackets and on the maxim armour. I have also seen it on the sniper/MG armor suits.

Now if you were just having fun with us, just ignore what I said above because I don't even own a German gun....
I'd agree i went a little awry with my colors, the yellow didnt come out as dark as i wanted, dried light on me. And i'd swear i've seen shields with the lighter blue before (was a HUUGE shield for the mg08 sled) but am probably mistaken. Not trying to pulling anything on anyone, just enjoy a hobby i'm new to. Apologies.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
No need to apologize, just having some fun with you. But, if you were looking for correct WWI camo, take my suggestion and Google the helmets, body armor, and 08/15 & MG08 machine guns.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This paint scheme might be more at home with a WWI Albatross fighter aircraft? However as you say a bit of fun and no harm done. It can always be removed. Check out the 08 and 08/15 thread for mimikri examples. 3 colour camouflage paint for the Germans was a late war directive but for MGs still relatively rare. Of course there were variants too on paint schemes, units, location, terrain, artistic imagination!!! all had a role.
Mark
look forward to seeing the whole set put together!

·
Watercooled Addict
2,067 Posts
Haha, why not. I’ve got 7 Mg08’s and if I don’t paint them differently I can’t remember their names.

·
Registered
112 Posts
7 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪 excellent. How about all the accessories. Anything in particular you are looking for?
Mark

·
Watercooled Addict
2,067 Posts
I’m pretty well set on most accessories. Wouldn’t mind a water jacket heater or a interwar set of action bars with an interwar lock. Possibly a real German 1916 tripod.
I bought some of these intending for them to be reborn as other maxims but I’ve about given up on that quest. It’s a hell of a lot easier to just buy the rare guns that are already working than to try and save other ones by cannibalizing parts from 08’s. I found that out first hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts